Chapter 24

I find myself waking from my sleep in the early morning to Auggie gone from beside me

I find myself waking from my sleep in the early morning to Auggie gone from beside me. I peer over at his bed and it's empty as well. I hurriedly get up out of bed and pull open the door, my eyes searching around and around for where he could be. I stop in my tracks when I see his bouncy head of curls and hear him chatting away to his toy cars while Spencer actively engages in his conversations. I breathe a sigh of relief and Spencer looks up to see me.

  "Morning." He smiles and Auggie turns his head, his mouth splitting into a smile.

  "Mommy!" He says, getting up and giving me a hug so big and tight his body starts shaking.

  "Good morning, peanut." I rub his back before picking him up. He gives me a kiss and hugs me again. "Have you eaten yet?"

  "Yes! Spencer made me Cheerios."

I raise my eyebrow and look at Spencer. He just shrugs. "Oh yeah? No milk?" Auggie shakes his head. "What about the strawberries?"

  "Hearts," Spencer says, standing up.

  "Well, maybe Spencer can make you your breakfast from now on. Give mommy a break, hmm?"

Auggie shakes his head. "He kept telling me about my strawberries."

  "Did he now? I wonder what things he said." I smile, knowing Spencer will spew facts about anything and everything to anyone who will give him their ear. I turn my head to him and ask him, "What did you tell my son about his strawberries?" a small smile threatens to slip through the cracks but I hold it in.

  "Nothing! I-I just told him that statistically Americans eat an average of 3.4 pounds of fresh strawberries every year. And that they are part of the rose family." He says.

  "Right," I smile and put Auggie down. "I don't think my six-year-old wants to hear about how many pounds of strawberries Americans eat every year or how they're a part of the rose family you nerd." I joke and he chuckles.

  "Yeah, sorry. Been a long time since I spewed any info like that to someone."

  "It's okay. Just tell it to me. I've always liked listening to that sort of stuff." I say, and go to the kitchen to look for breakfast for myself. I hear my phone ringing in the bedroom and rush to see who it is. "Yeah?" I answer.

  "Cami! I've been calling you for like hours! There's a new case." Penelope's voice greets my ears and I groan.

  "Okay, don't worry I'll be there faster than you can say 'Marry me Penelope.'." I hang up and riffle through one of the suitcases I brought stacked to the brim with clothes. "Auggie! Reid! I have to go. We have a case." I quickly run a brush through my hair and brush my teeth.

I kiss Auggie on the top of his head as he pouts, his arms crossed over his chest. I sigh and get down on my knees, trying to look him in his eyes but his chin is to his chest so he doesn't have to look at me. "Peanut, I have to go. I gotta make money so I can support your toy obsession, hmm? How are you gonna get more toys?"