Chapter 68

Roman and Enzo takes me back to the car we arrived at the hotel in

Roman and Enzo takes me back to the car we arrived at the hotel in. The first thing I hear when I exit the building is the sound of Auggie's laughter. My brows furrow, and I look to see Auggie running around on a small patch of grass, throwing Joey Kitty into the air. He catches his stuffy with a huff before turning towards me with a grin on his cute little face.

  "Monkey, what are you doing outside the car?" I make my way to him when I hear a gun go off. I leap for Auggie, grabbing him and managing to roll so my body slams into the side of the car. Well, that dent isn't coming out anytime soon. A groan is heard behind me, and I bend to see the driver of the other car bleeding out on the other side.

Fuck.

The car shakes as another bullet hits the car and then no sounds from the driver are heard.

  "Mommy!"

  "Don't worry, baby. It's just some mean men playing with some fireworks!" He looks up at me, and I smile encouragingly, opening the car's door and sliding him inside. "I'm going to go tell those men they should play with them somewhere else. I know you don't like the sound, okay?"

Auggie nods, hiding his small body between the seat and glove compartment. Speaking of the glove compartment, I pop it open and almost breathe a sigh of relief when I see a gun. As stealthily as possible, I manage to get into the back of my pants without Auggie noticing. With one last kiss, I close and lock the car, making sure Auggie knows not to let anyone in but me.

I press my back against the door and catch Roman's eye; he already has his phone out, speaking to someone. He peels his coat off and balls it up before throwing it into the air away from the car, and immediately a bullet hits it.

  "Make some room, Camilla." I raise a brow, scooting a bit. I'm surprised he hasn't told the others my real name. I watch as he throws himself across the gap between the door to the building and the car. Bullets trail him, hitting the ground beneath his feet, too slow to tag him. The car rocks from the momentum of his body slamming into it, and I hear Auggiescream from inside. I yell over the sound of bullets that everything is okay before looking over at Roman.

  "Now that you barreled over here like a defensive football player, what do we do?" He glares at my snarky comment, reaching behind him to pull his remaining jacket off, revealing two guns strapped in his gun holder. Thank God he came prepared.

  "Those guys are here to get me out or kill me before I can get your husband out here." He stands, shooting towards a stack of metal parts across the road. I see a body go down exactly where he shoots. He does have a good eye.

  "Well, I'm so glad they're not here for dinner."

  "I don't know why you are choosing now of all times to be sarcastic." I stand, taking my own shot, aiming for non-vital parts of their bodies. I don't need death on my conscience. I take down two before a bullet whizzes past my arm, but I duck away from it, managing to knock Roman to the ground when one flies past where his head is.