Chapter 44

I holds Auggie's hand tightly as we approach the entrance of the nursing home where my mother resides

I holds Auggie's hand tightly as we approach the entrance of the nursing home where my mother resides. The scent of antiseptic fills the air, and familiar faces greet me with warm smiles and Auggie with warmer ones. Auggie's small hand tightens its grip around mine, his wide eyes filled with a mix of curiosity and apprehension.

I glance down at Auggie, sensing how nervous he is. "Hey, buddy," I begin gently, crouching down to meet Auggie'sgaze. "I know you're a little nervous about meeting my mom, but I promise you, she's going to love you."

Auggie's fingers fidget with the edge of his shirt, his voice barely above a whisper. "What if she doesn't like me?"

I smile warmly, my hand reaching out to brush Auggie's cheek. "Why wouldn't she?"

Taking a deep breath, Auggie nods. "Don't know." he shrugs.

  "Then let's go and see."

The hallways are adorned with cheerful paintings and family photographs, their vibrant colors adding a touch of warmth to the otherwise clinical environment. I lead Auggie towards a cozy sitting area, where Diana sits in a comfortable armchair, her blonde hair framing a face filled with a lifetime of memories.

Diana's eyes light up as she spots me, her smile widening. "Spencer!" she exclaims, her voice carrying a hint of recognition amidst the haze of dementia.

I approach my mother, Auggie staggering behind me. "Hey, mom," I greet, "I've brought someone special to meet you."

Auggie hesitates for a moment, his small frame slightly shielded behind me. My mother's eyes fall upon the young boy, her gaze gentle and welcoming. "Well, hello there," she says softly, her voice carrying a motherly warmth. "Who might this be?"

Auggie peeks out from behind me, his eyes meeting Diana's. My hand rests on his head, offering silent encouragement. "I'm Auggie," he finally speaks, his voice shy.

My mother's smile widens, her eyes crinkling at the corners. "Auggie, what a lovely name," she replies, her voice brimming with genuine affection. "I'm so glad you've come to visit me today."

I watch as Auggie's apprehension slowly melts away, replaced by a glimmer of trust. Auggie cautiously approaches Diana, his tiny hand reaching out to touch her arm. My mother's eyes sparkle as she gently takes Auggie's hand in hers. "Would you like to sit with me for a little while?"

The car hums softly as Auggie and I make our way back home from our visit

The car hums softly as Auggie and I make our way back home from our visit. Auggie sits in the back seat, his gaze fixed out the window, lost in thought.

  "Hey there, buddy," I speak softly, glancing at Auggie through the rear view mirror. "What's on your mind?"

Auggie turns to face me, his eyes searching for answers. "'Pence, is your mom my grandma?"

  "Yes, bud. She's your grandma."

  "Does that mean that you're my daddy?"

My heart skips a beat at the question, realizing that Auggie is beginning to piece together things. I take a deep breath before answering. "Why do you think that, bud?"

  "'Cause my friend Riley has a grandma, said it's her daddy's mom."

My grip on the steering wheel tightens slightly. I've always known this moment would come, but I didn't anticipate it coming this soon. I glance at Auggie, my heart aching to tell him but I know I shouldn't without Camilla.

 I glance at Auggie, my heart aching to tell him but I know I shouldn't without Camilla