Chapter 71

"Auggie, run!"

  "Auggie, run!"

That's all I heard as I made my way out the window mommy told me to. As quiet as a mouse I climbed out of it. My heart is beating super fast but I'm brave like Daddy taught me to be. I slowly turn my head, looking around the corner. It's clear. The parking lot is empty so I run as fast as my legs can carry me into the street.

I walked fast along the sidewalk, looking around for the police station. The motel was far from town so it was a long walk. The sun was starting to go up and it was getting a little warmer. I rubbed my arms to warm up as I walked. I hoped someone would come along in a car and give me a ride, but nobody was around.

I keep running even though my feet hurt and I'm getting real sleepy. But I remember what Mommy said- I had to be a brave boy and find help. After what seems like a really long time, I see enough words that look like it says police. It has all the letters in the words. As I get closer, I see the building clearer now with cars and flags outside.

My legs feel like jelly but I make them keep going until I fall at the front doors. "Help! Help please!" I yell with tears in my eyes. I tried to sound very serious like the grownups do in scary movies when there's danger. I watch as a nice lady police officer came out right away.

  "What's wrong, honey? Are you hurt?" She asks, raising her eyebrows up like mommy does when she's worried about something.

Between big mouth fulls of air, I try to tell her everything I remember and what mommy told me. I tell her how mommy and I were taken to camp and how men kept us locked in rooms and how we tried to escape. "I need to call Aunt Penelope at FB...I quarters! Please?"

I twist my hands nervously. All I wanted was for momma to be okay and for daddy to come and get us and take us back home.