Chapter 22

"I'm not mad at you, I'm annoyed at him

"I'm not mad at you, I'm annoyed at him." Granted I'm annoyed at both Roman and Cami. I can't tell when I'm annoyed at her and when I'm not, though. She easily gets under my skin and it pisses me off, because there's nothing I can do. This whole situation is my fault.

  "Well, instead of worrying about me, worry about those guys that are hunting us down." Her tone raises. Her eyes look at me like she's ready for me to get angrier. She knows just the right words to say to get me going, and she's looking at me with just as much hatred as I feel for her.

  "I can worry about you as much as I want," I remark with a tilt of my head, "because of those men hunting us down."
"So maybe stop standing here with me, and go out and find them." She says. "So you won't have to worry about me anymore."

  "You're so fucking annoying. How drunk are you?" I tell her, narrowing my eyes. "Even if I kill those men, I'll still have to worry about you because all you care about is blackmailing El and I." She knows she has power over the both of us

  "That's not true. You put yourself in the position. It's your fault you decided to start murdering in the first place like an idiot." she starts to get just as angry as I am annoyed, "There has always been a risk that someone was going to catch you"

  "Christ, are you always this annoying? Or just when you're drunk?" I snarl, looking away from her as I presume she wants privacy to take her clothes off to get in the shower. If she actually is drunk, I don't want her fatally falling in the shower. "And yeah, I am an idiot sometimes, but not when it comes to murdering pedophiles."

  "I'm so glad I didn't kiss you. It's not even that you're a criminal at this point, it's just that you're an asshole when we're getting along for once."

I laugh ruefully. Her comments about me are making her intolerable at this point, "Fuck you."

  "I know I've said it before and you have an eidetic memory so I know you remember me calling you this, but you're pathetic," she says. "We both get so easily irritated with each other even at good points just because I don't agree with you murdering people, even if they're pedophiles. I'd honestly rather have them be subjected to the horrible things that will happen to them in jail than have you give them a quick death."

  "Okay and? It doesn't matter what you want," I shrug, but immediately start pacing towards her. She still hasn't gotten in the shower that's currently so hot it's fogging up the mirrors. "I'm tired of you calling me pathetic, we both know it isn't true, just for doing something other people could only dream of doing, killing filth."

I hope she just walks away, drops this whole thing. But her singular step towards me dissipates my wishes. She isn't phased by what I just said. Her eyes just stare right into mine, devil-like and scrutinizing. Her bare feet stay planted on the cold tile flooring not even a foot away from me.

  "You are pathetic," she whispers, letting the last word with her enunciation roll off the tongue. Her eyes zero on mine, locked in while I continue to regard her. And even though I just mentioned I hate her and I'm glad I didn't kiss her, both of which are true, but I'm feeling hypocritical of myself tonight and my words.