Chapter 29

"You're going to Cape Elizabeth, Maine to inspect a barrage of bodies that have suddenly found themselves on the shore of a lighthouse

  "You're going to Cape Elizabeth, Maine to inspect a barrage of bodies that have suddenly found themselves on the shore of a lighthouse. And while I don't know much about the state, what I do know is that it is surrounded by water so I do advise you all to bring your bathing suits and itty bitty bikinis." Penelope jokes and the round table smiles and laughs.

  "While it may look pretty, the water is awfully cold even on the hottest of days," I say, looking through the manila file. I look up and everyone's looking at me. "What?" I shrug.

  "You from Maine, Hendricks?" Derek asks and I look at him as though he's stupid.

  "How did none of you know that? I thought Pen would've told you all." I say, looking at Penelope and she just shrugs.

  "Wheels up in 20, Camilla can show us around." Hotch jokes with his monotone straight face and everyone chuckles as they gather up their things.

  "I will not. I haven't been up there in at least....5 years." I argue back, following behind them and slinging my bag on my shoulder.

  "Sounds like excuses to me. I thought you Mainers were known for your hospitality." Derek says smiling and I slap him on the arm.

I've carted the whole team around the past two days

I've carted the whole team around the past two days. It was sort of fun actually, telling them about the native birds and fun facts and memories I can remember. I found it funny how everyone had marveled at the big houses that line the street up to the Portland Head Light. It turned sour though when I tripped on a slippery rock while looking at where the bodies had popped up and fell almost head-first into the water. I scuffed my head on a sharp rock and needed stitches.

  "I'm sure it's not that bad."

  "It's in a visible spot on my big ass forehead. If it scars I'll have a permanent reminder of how I fell into the ocean looking at a crime scene."

  "It's a funny story you can tell Auggie when you come back home," Spencer says.

  "I hope he'll find it funny and not embarrassing."

  "He could never. That kid loves you to death."

I know Auggie loves me to the moon and back but he's still a kid and a lot of the time kids say or do things that are embarrassing for the parent and they also laugh at embarrassing things a parent has done.