Chapter 9

In all my 32 years of living, I've never stepped inside a tattoo parlor until today

It wasn't that I hadn't wanted to or was avoiding them; I just unfortunately never found the time. Emily insisted that the time be today, even if we were on a case. She argues it's a heavier case, and we need a quick break.

I was never expecting it to smell so sterilized.

  "Smells like a hospital here. I hate hospitals." I whisper, scrunching my nose and pressing close to Emily's arm as we walk in the door. A swirl of nerves and eagerness filled the small waiting area.

Emily glanced over at me, giving my elbow a reassuring squeeze. "That's a good thing. Means the place is clean and sterile."

I chew on my bottom lip, nodding. JJ didn't even wait for my response before she turned back around and approached the front desk. I hang back.

It's a small enough space to feel comfy but big. Light and open, with many photos scattered all over the walls. Clients, I assume, proudly display their fresh ink or piercings.

Pins and Needles is the tattoo parlor's name. If it wasn't for JJ and Emily, I would not have willingly walked in here off the street, though.

Emily didn't even call for an appointment. She said there would be a convenient opening if it was meant to be there.

  "I think this will be the most fun we've had on a case." Emily smiles, squeezing, bracing a hand firmly on JJ and I's shoulder. "What better way to honor friendship than to ink it on our bodies?"

I could think of less permanent ways to honor our friendship, but I don't say anything.

  "An old friend works at this shop downtown," Emily gushed, nestled in my hotel bed that morning. She leaned over to glance at her phone screen, where she had pulled the website for the tattoo parlor. "He owes me a favor so...and I bet he'll give us a discount."

  "A friend or a friend you used to hook up with?" JJ asks, smiling.

A couple of hours later and we're both still determining Emily's friend. She ignored the question, and I don't think looking over victims of a horrible crime is an excellent scenario to bring it up again. These things are a lot easier for Emily since she has many tattoos.

JJ as well; I've seen one on her ribs. Which is so weird to me to know.

Needless to say, after incessant pleas and bartering all day from JJ, Emily, AND Penelope, I have agreed to get one.

  "Em!"

Our friend's name rang in the small room, and I craned my neck to see the voice. From the curtains blocking the back area, a blonde curly-headed man came jogging up to us, stepping around the desk to pull Emily into a hug.

Behind him, two more people appear. All adorned with tattoos. A sliver of nerves ran up my spine, instantly dominating the area. I'm pretty shy, never looking new people in the eyes for more than 2 seconds, but I look to my feet before either of them can catch my eye.