Chapter 58

I rush around my apartment, throwing things into my bag as I get ready for my morning at work

I rush around my apartment, throwing things into my bag as I get ready for my morning at work. I'm running late as usual. As I glance at the clock, I sigh in frustration- there's no time for breakfast. I'll have to grab a coffee on the way.

Stepping outside, I breath in the crisp morning air, hoping it will wake me up. As I walk to the car, my mind starts to drift back in time. Without meaning to, my thoughts turn to the day I had first met Spencer.

It had been my first day on the job as a newly-minted profiler. I had graduated at the top of my class and I was eager to put my skills to use. I remember the nerves and excitement swirling in my stomach as I walk through the doors of the BAU office for the first time. Hotch had greeted me, given me a brief tour and introduced me to the team.

But it was Reid who had really stood out to me that day. While the others seemed focused on their casework, Reid was hovering by the bookshelves, rapidly flipping through pages. His brain seemed to work at a million miles an hour.

I had stopped to watch him, intrigued. After a moment, Reid had suddenly looked up, noticing my gaze.

  "I-Is there something I can help you wi-with?" he had asked curiously. I was momentarily caught off guard by his boyish good looks hidden behind his scholarly exterior.

I introduced myself and we struck up conversation about the profiling textbooks he had been perusing. I found myself fascinated by his encyclopedic mind and quirky mannerisms. From that point on, I knew Spencer would became an important colleague and friend.

Suddenly, I realized I had arrived at my car, lost in the memory playing out in my mind. I smile to myself, thinking of how much has changed in the years since. Shaking away the reminiscing, I start the car, hoping the long day ahead would pass quickly so I can get home and maybe see Spencer.

But I linger by the car, still lost in thought about him. On a whim, I decide to go back upstairs to the apartment one last time before starting my day. I open the door and spot Spencer at the kitchen.

  "Cami, everything okay?"

I smile. "Yeah." I look up at him with shining eyes, feeling suddenly brave. Before I can overthink it, I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him into a lingering kiss. Spencer freezes in shock at first, before slowly kissing me back with tenderness that takes my breath away. When we finally part, he gazes at me with caring eyes.

  "You better get to work."