Chapter 12: Dealing with the problem

Start from the beginning

Next morning I woke up earlier than I usually do. One way or another, I had been delaying my sunrising wake up call, but this time I was up even earlier than the sun itself. I still had a terrible headache, like yesterday when I woke up, and I felt my body really heavy. Anyway I took advantage that I didn't find my sister sleeping on my bed, so I made my way straight to the living room. I didn't want to call Jill's attention, though I was pretty sure she was still deep asleep in her room. After all, she's not exactly a morning person at all. I brought my ear and stuck it to the door, trying to perceive any kind of movement. Absolutely nothing. Perfect.

I left a note on the fridge and quickly got out of there. I was trying to make a silent exit through the front door. I didn't want her to make any questions about where I was going, so I wouldn't have to lie to her. I knew she wouldn't forgive me if I did, specially about this. She made herself clear that she wasn't agree with Brian going to jail, even when he tried to hurt her. It was true that he seemed to have serious psychological issues, but not for that I was gonna forgive him for kidnap my sister and force me to give her a very hard spanking. I know she deserved it, but she only lied to me because of him. Yes, definitely it was all his fault, but maybe, if I could get a deal with him I could help him too. After all, he was facing many charges.

-What are you doing up so early Steven?, Jill said looking at me from the kitchen's door, leaning against the frame.

I turned around, looking at her very surprised. When did she got up? I was so damn sure she was sleeping. And besides, how the hell did she get into the kitchen without being seen? Ugh, stupid back door. I never actually use it, but it's on the back of the kitchen and connects with the living room.

-What are you doing here?, I said quickly, a little bit mad cause I got caught. I didn't know what else to say either. I was completely busted.

-I asked first brother, she said folding her arms together, looking at me up and down with arrogance, Going somewhere?

-Yeah I... I have an emergency at work. It should only take a few minutes so I'll be back soon. Get back to bed, I said smiling to her and trying to leave as soon as I could through the front door. But she just wouldn't let me, as usual.

-Yes I know. You left a note on the fridge, she said showing it to me before she started to read it out loud, "Jill, I have to go run a couple errands. If you're hungry, we have cereal and milk for you to have breakfast. I might be a little late. Love ya". Explain what kind of errand is so urgent at... 6.30 in the morning.

Told you she'd be mad if I lied to her. Shoot, I wasn't counting with her waking up at all, much less this early in the morning. I must have the worst luck in the world. I stood there, looking into her angry eyes, without having any excuse to tell her. Maybe I should go with a little piece of the truth.

-About that..., I said rubbing the back of my neck, I didn't want to scare you or something.

-Enough of the lying Steve, she said getting tired of this game, Where are you going and why are you lying to me about it?

-It's true that I have to go to work Jil, I said fighting my case, I just have to do something there and then I'll be back.

-To do what exactly?, she said looking at me in anger.

Probably at this point she knew that it had to be with Brian, otherwise I wouldn't be lying to her. Well actually I lied to her a couple more times about other stuff, but it was just because she overreacts when I have to leave her.

-I have to interrogate a suspect, something I should have done yesterday, but I didn't get Danny's message. Any idea why? Now, are you done with your questioning?, I said trying to stop the conversation before I got myself into a trap made of my own lies. I'm not a very good liar, and Jill is very smart when she wants to be.