41.

The Forty-First Chapter

****

अल्लाह मुझे दर्द के क़ाबिल बना दिया
तूफ़ां को ही कश्ती का साहिल बना दिया
बेचैनियाँ समेट के सारे जहान की
जब कुछ न बन सका तो मेरा दिल बना दिया
ओ साथी, तेरे बिना
राही को राह दिखे ना
ओ साथी, तेरे बिना
साहिल धुआँ धुआँ

****

I discreetly cast a glance at the small black micro camera nestled in the corner of the vanity mirror

It's the kind of thing that blends seamlessly into its surroundings, easily overlooked by anyone not actively searching for it. But not me. Not now that I've stumbled upon it. The realization hits me like a punch to the gut- we're under surveillance. 

And if they've planted this one camera, who knows what else they've tampered with?

I make a conscious effort not to give away my discovery as I pace back and forth in the room, trying to convey an air of anger and frustration.

My mind races through the possibilities, each one more chilling than the last. The phones – they could be tapped, conversations intercepted without us ever knowing. 

 I glance at the corners of the room, wondering if hidden microphones are lurking there, ready to pick up every word we say. And our cars – could they be tracked? Are our movements being monitored even when we think we're alone? 

I need to act fast, need to get this information to Bhai-sa. But first, I need to eliminate the threat I've uncovered.

With a sense of urgency, I start by forcefully throwing a brass plate from the counter table to the floor, the loud clatter echoing through the room. 

Next, I grab the scented candles from the shelves and hurl them aside, the glass containers shattering upon impact. With swift motions, I sweep the vanity table clean, sending perfume bottles crashing to the ground. 

I spent a few hours destroying the furniture. It's almost night time now.

Finally, I grab the mirror with the camera attached and slam it down on the floor. It breaks into pieces, and the camera gets crushed.

I stand there, looking at the mess I've made, knowing there's still more to do.

Roohi is going to be furious when she sees the state of our room. I can already picture her face, the disappointment and anger clear as day. And I can't blame her.