40.

The Fortieth Chapter

****

जाने कैसी बाँधी तूने अँखियों के डोर
मन मेरा खिंचा चला आया तेरी ओर
मेरे चेहरे की सुबह, ज़ुल्फ़ों की शाम
मेरा सब कुछ है पिया, अब से तेरे नाम
नज़रों ने तेरी छुआ, तो है ये जादू हुआ
होने लगी हूँ मैं हसीं
आफरीं आफरीं...

जाने कैसी बाँधी तूने अँखियों के डोरमन मेरा खिंचा चला आया तेरी ओरमेरे चेहरे की सुबह, ज़ुल्फ़ों की शाममेरा सब कुछ है पिया, अब से तेरे नामनज़रों ने तेरी छुआ, तो है ये जादू हुआहोने लगी हूँ मैं हसींआफरीं आफरीं

Finally, these fifteen days are over. Rudra had been showing up every night like clockwork, creeping in to give me a goodnight kiss. The way that man keeps raising my expectations every day is downright diabolical.

Two days ago was a prime example. Rudra decided to go all Romeo and Juliet on me again, climbing up the balcony at midnight just to steal a moment. The only problem? Meher, was snuggled up next to me in bed, completely unaware.

He didn't think this through.

And let me tell you, when she woke up to the commotion and laid eyes on Rudra, her scream could have shattered glass and probably woke up the neighbors' dog.

And oh, the looks Uncle and Auntie shot their darling son-in-law. It was a sight to behold.

"Jamai-sa, you know you could've just come through the front door," Aunty said, lips pursed tightly as she tried to stifle her laughter.

"J-Ji, voh na- voh actually mujhe laga aap ko itni raat...mein uh.. haa! kyu pareshan karu.." Rudra spoke, his words stumbling over each other as he tried to explain himself, his expression a mixture of sheepishness and desperation. He looked at me for help but I just chuckled.

Oh, I was loving every minute of it. I stayed quiet, hoping someone would take the hint and fetch me some popcorn because this was better than any reality TV drama.

"As if entering the house like a bloody thief is unproblematic," Meher spat, her eyes narrowing at him like he was some sort of unwanted insect.

"What's your problem?" Rudra snapped back, his patience wearing thin.

"My problem? Your very existence, if you must know. Shall I arrange for its swift removal?" Meher retorted, her tone dripping with sarcasm.

"You're just jealous of my presence! How Roohi loves me more than you!" Rudra gritted, his jaw clenched so tightly I thought it might crack, as if he was struggling to restrain himself from committing a murder.

 Meher scoffed, rolling her eyes dramatically. "Please, your presence is about as appealing as a root canal without anesthesia."

OH BURN. MEHER FUCKING SINGH IS THE WINNER.