14.

The Fourteenth Chapter

****

तू सफर मेरा, है तू ही मेरी मंज़िल
तेरे बिना गुज़ारा, ऐ दिल है मुश्किल
तू मेरा खुदा, तू ही दुआ में शामिल
तेरे बिना गुज़ारा, ऐ दिल है मुश्किल
मुझे आज़माती है तेरी कमी
मेरी हर कमी को है तू लाज़मी
जूनून है मेरा, बनूँ मैं तेरे क़ाबिल
तेरे बिना गुज़ारा, ऐ दिल है मुश्किल

****

I asked Rudra to get me some water, my throat feeling parched after expressing gratitude to all the relatives

I asked Rudra to get me some water, my throat feeling parched after expressing gratitude to all the relatives. As he left to fetch the water, two judgmental aunties sitting in front of me shot me a disapproving glance.

"You know, when we got married, we weren't allowed to address our husbands by their name. Ordering him around was out of the question," one of them said, and her supposed friend nodded in agreement. "I know! I wasn't even allowed to eat before Samu ke papa finished his meal," she added.

Their commentary was testing my patience, and I found myself on the brink of snapping.

As the judgmental aunties continued their unwarranted advice, I felt a spark of defiance rising within me. Just in time, Rudra returned with a glass of water – my knight in shining armor.

"Roohi, there you go," he announced, handing me the glass. I accepted it with a sugar-coated smile.

"Mere Pati Parmeshwar! Thank you," I declared, rising from my seat. The effect was instantaneous – I heard Rudra choke on air, a sudden fit of coughing seizing him. (My *something* Husband)

(A/N- I don't know how to translate Pati- Parmeshwar.)

Ah fuck.

As Rudra struggled to catch his breath, I moved closer to him, gently rubbing his back to ease his coughing fit. "Calm down," I whispered, and he nodded, still wide-eyed and recovering.

Passing him the glass he had fetched for me, I encouraged him to take a sip of water. "Kunwar-sa, aap theek hai na?" one of the judgmental aunties inquired, and Rudra, still a bit flustered, nodded. He ran his hands through his hair, attempting to regain composure. (You are fine, Right?)

"Haa, patidev ji, aap theek hai na?" I asked, kneeling down beside him on the floor. This unexpected gesture seemed to catch him off guard, and he jumped up, his eyes widening even further. (Yes, Husband, Are you fine?)

The neat hall buzzed with conversations, and fortunately, no one seemed to notice our unconventional exchange.

Rudra, still recovering, stared at me in disbelief, questioning my unexpected actions. "What the hell are you doing?" he asked, clearly taken aback. He seemed angry.