21.

The twenty-first chapter

****

मेरा दर्पण अँखियाँ तेरी
तुझको तरसे रतिया मेरी
जीना मुझको रास आने लगा
जबसे चहकी बतिया तेरी

जोगन तेरा मारा रसिया
जग जीता दिल हारा रसिया
पग तेरे चौबारे ठहरे
सदके मैं बंजारा रसिया

****

I woke up in a daze, my surroundings unfamiliar as I blinked my eyes a few times to adjust

I woke up in a daze, my surroundings unfamiliar as I blinked my eyes a few times to adjust. The memories of the previous night flooded back, and I turned around to find the bed empty.

It all came rushing back - the drunken arrival and the punishment of having to sleep in the living room.

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I slowly got up from the comfy bed, my muscles protesting the movement. I stretched my arms, trying to alleviate the stiffness, and twisted and turned to regain flexibility.

I feel like a grandma.

Because you are.

You can be so mean at times.

As I looked down, I noticed Maggi, was already awake and ready for the day. His eyes met mine as I greeted him, "Good morning, Maggs." I attempted a nickname, but his visible cringe made it clear he wasn't a fan.

"Fine, I was just trying the nickname," I defended myself, but he shook his head in disapproval.

"What do you want?" I asked, kneeling down and kissing his forehead.

Maggi grinned widely, his tongue hanging out in excitement as he dashed toward his bed. He returned promptly, proudly holding his leash in his mouth, clearly signaling his desire for a walk.

"A walk?" I asked, a smile on my face, and he responded with a vigorous shake of his head, his tail wagging furiously.

"Okay, I'll go change into sports gear, okay? It's time I exercise as well," I declared with a smile, but Maggi seemed uninterested, fixated on the leash in his paws. He sat on the ground, seemingly lost in a world of leash pulling.

I made my way to the bathroom, the cool tiles beneath my feet waking me up further. The mirror reflected a disheveled version of myself. With half my hair in a ponytail and the rest falling freely. How did it even manage to-

Grabbing a hairbrush, I began the process of untangling the knots that had formed overnight. I brushed my teeth and washed my face.

As I finished up in the bathroom, I headed to the closet to change into athletic gear. Sorting through my wardrobe, I opted for comfortable leggings and a breathable workout top. I wore some trainers and came back to the bedroom.