8.

The Eight Chapter

****

नैनों की चाल है.. मख़मली हाल है..
नीची पलकों से बदले समाँ
नैना शरमाएँ जो.. याके भर आएँ जो
थम के रुक जाएँ दोनो जहाँ
रब की नेमत हैं तेरी निगाहें
जिसमें बसती हैं उसकी दुआएँ
ऐसे नैनों की बातों में कोई क्यों ना आए

****

"Would you like help with that?" I heard his voice

"Would you like help with that?" I heard his voice. Turning around, I found the devil standing in front of me, leaning against the door frame with a smirk.

"N-No, I'm okay," I said, walking towards the door on the left. It's the washroom, if I remember correctly. Before I could enter, Rudra's voice stopped me.

"Roohi, use the second door," he said, and I looked at him in confusion but nodded. As soon as I entered the second door to the right, a large square layout room stood in front of me, divided into two sections. It was a closet. On both sides, clothes were neatly organized.

One side had blazers hung in a row with shirts and T-shirts on the rack below; the other had girl clothes. From short dresses to simple kurtis, everything reeked of luxury.

Whose clothes were they?

His... previous girlfriend? But Maa wouldn't let them live together, would she? Even if she did, they might have cleared this out, right?

But the wedding was in a rush. Maybe they forgot. Oh, what if I'm his rebound? That's why he's getting married to me.

Just a rebound.

I stood there, staring at the closet, lost in my thoughts. The uncertainty gnawed at me, and a whirlwind of questions swirled in my mind. Taking a deep breath, I decided to focus on the task at hand—changing out of the lehenga.

I went towards the section with girl clothes, examining the array of outfits. Each piece seemed carefully selected, reflecting a taste for elegance. As I was about to choose a comfortable night suit, I heard Rudra's voice again.

"Find something you like? Those are yours now," he said, leaning against the doorway, a hint of a smile playing on his lips.

"Mine?" I questioned, still puzzled.

"Yeah, Maa and Saana had the closet prepared for you. Your clothes, your space," he explained, his eyes meeting mine.

"Oh," I mumbled, feeling a mix of relief and embarrassment.

My heart softened at his thoughtful gesture. Maybe there was more to this hurried wedding than met the eye.

I had clothes of my own though. I guess they will fit in here somewhere.