Mother and Son

"Am I going to have to walk back there and dress you up?" Chayote spoke up after turning her attention back to the palace inside the Room of Spirit and Time. It's been a little while since she's last visited the room and trained in preparation for some grand threat. It may have been a signifier of advancing age, but Chayote couldn't help but return to the times of fearing assault and retribution at the hands of Piccolo Jr. and training Upa up to become a worthy successor to Kami.

"These feel kinda stretchy and weird..." Navy walked out funny, spreading his legs as if the improved model of Saiyan battle armor pressed at the boy's groin. Having grown up wearing a version of a far less advanced outfit, Chayote could have guaranteed that it did not and that this was just childish caprices rearing their jagged horns.

"You say that about all clothes. You won't find anything better than this in terms of training. The Saiyan battle armor comes in three sizes: child, standard, and large, and it adapts to your size and form. Even the child-sized battle armor can stretch all the way to fit a Great Ape. Besides, I've heard stories about these things withstanding planetary devastation and supernovae," Chayote crossed her arms, letting her son know she wasn't going to play games that the servants in Mr. Satan's mansion played with him.

"Alright! I barely feel those on at all! I feel like I'm naked!" Navy exclaimed, pumping his arms up and down like a mischievous monkey. Chayote bitterly observed her rambunctious son blasting off and darting around the Room of Spirit and Time, halting for a second after leaving the palace, but quickly adjusting himself to the changes in gravity and treating them as if they didn't exist at all. It wasn't that Navy didn't struggle against the room's conditions, it was just that he was so hyperactive that his vitality superseded his discomfort.

"Careful, Navy, don't take off too far and get lost. This room stretches out infinitely in all directions, with the only tether back home being this palace and that door we entered through. If you go too far away to where you can't see the palace anymore, you might never find your way back," Chayote warned her son but realized far before she finished her sentence that her words were falling on deaf ears. It wasn't all the time, but sometimes Chayote wanted to ask the Divine Dragon for a special motherhood control panel that would let her jump ahead to when her son acted like a sane human being and not just a destructive ball of energy smashing everything it its way just because it could.

"As if I'd ever get lost! All I need to do to return is just go back! People that get lost are stupid!" Navy exclaimed proudly, crossing his tiny arms over his chest and then taking off in the exact opposite direction to where the palace was as if intending to prove his point.

Once in a short while, the boy looked back to see if he could still see the palace on the horizon. It wasn't until he could barely make out a tiny and blurry dot in the mind-numbing void of all-white that made separating top from down and left from right completely impossible, Navy didn't even slow down. It was only when his head started spinning that the boy smacked his cheeks and shook his head after closing his eyes shut, trying to snap some sense back into him like a whiff of smelling salts.

"This place is so trippy and quiet..." Navy mumbled to himself. "Oh, well... May as well go back and stick it to mom!"

Before the boy could burst with aura and blast off to where he last saw the dot-sized blur of the palace hundreds of kilometers ago, a chilling wall of snow smacked straight into the boy like a paddle and sent him tumbling back, covered in flakes of frost all over. Snot drooling from his nose, shivering and unable to see farther than the reach of his hand in the maddening blizzard, Navy tried looking around and remembering which direction was the fabled "back" that would bring him to the palace and to the very impressed expression of his mother who would commend his craftiness and trust him in all things starting from that point on.