Chapter Thirty-Three

Alistair McClair

Alistair McClair

The elevator dinged and opened. I got in and pushed the button for the IT floor. The elevator ascended a few floors until it stopped and opened again. 

“Good morning, Mr. McClair.” 

“Good morning to you too, Paul Ouellette.” I replied to the head of the IT department. “Are you on your way to the party?” I asked, since Paul hadn’t clicked any of the buttons.

“Kind of have to be there, since my employees are expecting me.” He said. 

We both waited in the elevator as it went up. I felt like Paul was watching me. I turned and he was indeed looking at me. When he noticed I was confronting him, Paul turned away and faced forward.

“Everything okay?” I asked while raising an eyebrow at him. He seemed startled. 

“Uh, yeah. Sorry. Just thought you had some aftershave on your beard.” Paul muttered. 

Paul was quick to shut up. He sighed in relief when the elevator opened and we exited into the IT department’s floor. Upon entering, the cheers and celebratory shouts of office workers rang through the floor.

The party had transferred from the small break room towards the much larger conference room. 

“Alistair!” Meredith called out. I was greeted by several other employees as I made my way to Meredith, as she sat in the corner of the room with a drink in her hands. 

“I see you’re already enjoying the drinks.” I remarked, looking at the glass of champagne in her hands. 

“It’s free, so of course I am.” Meredith reached under the seat and handed me a bottle of water. I took a seat on the empty chair next to her. 

“Something’s off with Paul,” I whispered to her. 

“How so?” She whispered back.

“Not sure. He was staring at me in the elevator.”

“Maybe he was just scared of being in an enclosed space with his boss. It’s pretty common.”

She could be right. But I have a weird intuition that Paul Ouellette wanted to say something, however, he bit his tongue. 

As CEO, I didn’t need to stay long for the party. Meredith and I returned back to my office to continue and work that needed to be finished. 

“When are you going to call Calvin?” Meredith asked.

“Soon. Why are you asking?” 

Meredith let out a small giggle. “Nothing. I’ve just noticed that you’ve been calling Calvin spontaneously. You’ve never dated anyone that you just felt like calling.” 

“We’ve been getting closer. Nothing to really care about.” I mentioned. 

“That’s where you’re wrong. Alistair. And as your assistant and friend, I can tell you that falling for Calvin is a big deal.”