Chapter Thirty-One

Calvin Fischer

Calvin Fischer

"Mom, I have to go run to the store. I'll be back." Alistair told his mom.

"It's fine. Don't be late." She replied. She handed Alistair an umbrella and kissed his cheek.

"I'll be back, Calvin. Mom will entertain you." He told me before he left out the front door.

I had finished taking a picture of a 13-year old Alistair who was wearing his father's construction coat. Jocelyn sat on the couch next to me on the couch and watched me.

"Do you love Alistair?" She asked out of nowhere.

Part of me was startled at such a direct question. "Huh?" I asked.

She chuckled. Her smile created crow's feet on the corner of her eyes, and the smile lines around her lips showed signs of a happy life. "Do you love Alistair? I'm just curious."

It's a tough question to think about. Alistair and I have been dating for over three months, his longest relationship. I know that he cares for me. This whole day has been a showcase of Alistair's feelings for me, as he's finally allowed me to enter his life.

"I think I do..." I muttered softly.

Jocelyn sighed in relief. "I've been encouraging my Ali to find a partner for so long. When he first began dating, I thought it would only take a while. But 99 women came and went, and none of them were the right match.

"I just never expected for a man to be his match. So long as my boy is happy, I'm happy too. Just don't break his heart. I fear that he's far too delicate than he lets on to be."

She's his mother, afterall. So she knows the psychology of Alistair. Of course I'm going to take her words into heavy consideration.

"How was Alistair like growing up?" I asked.

Jocelyn picked up one of the photos of Alistair and his dad standing next to a small blue car.

"He was an interesting kid. He didn't cry much as a baby. Russel and I thought there was something wrong with him, so we took him to a lot of doctors. But they all said that some kids are born like that. When he went to pre-K, he didn't make any friends. He wasn't as social as the other kids.

"This went on for his entire time growing up. While other kids were playing outside, Alistair was inside either reading a book or tinkering with his father's tools. Sort of a nerd, if I might imply. At least he was an easy kid, and we never had any problems concerning his future."

"But you at least had to have had some worries about him." I implied.

"I'm sure he's told you about the date that stood him up."

I nodded. "Yeah. I could tell it was a tough story to tell."

Jocelyn nodded with agreement. She scanned through the photo album and pointed to another picture. In this one, Alistair was a bit older, probably when he was 19 or 20. He was standing in front of a wooden wall, but he did not smile.