Chapter Forty-Four

Alistair McClair

Alistair McClair

I kept looking at my reflection in the rearview mirror. Despite Calvin telling me constantly that I looked perfect, I still felt like there was something on me that was dirty.

"Alistair, that's the seventh time you've checked your eyebrows." Calvin said.

"Just making sure there isn't anything off about me." I replied. Then I took one final glance before returning my eyes to the road.

"Are you excited to see your class after over ten years?" He eagerly asked.

I replied, "No." Calvin stopped jumping so much in his seat. "Honestly, most of those people were just people I went to class with. I don't even remember most of them."

"Yeah, but maybe there's one friend you still want to meet." He tried saying.

"I didn't have friends." I replied. "I spent most of my time studying so I could get into a good college. Maybe a few people that I talked to. But no one worth continuing to have communications with. Do you still talk to your high school friends?" I asked him.

"I– No. Not even most of my college friends." Calvin said. He leaned back in his seat. "Still, if not to meet people, then to at least show off how successful you became. Isn't that really the point of high school reunions, to brag to everyone else about how better you are doing in life?"

I chuckled and placed my hand on Calvin's lap. I kept driving until we reached the banquet hall that the reunion was being held at. From the list of RSVPs, there are a few people here that I am not looking forward to seeing. Most are neutral to me.

Inside the hall was quite large. Calvin held my hand and looked up at me to give me courage. I could vaguely make out a few people that I went to high school with. Everyone had their tags on them. Mine read 'Alistair McClair: Founder of McClair Enterprises.'

"Let's say hello to someone," Calvin said. I hesitated for a moment but walked towards the closest group of people.

"Alistair," Someone called. I turned and saw Jeremy Wise, the man who had called to me. As soon as he said my name, several people that he was surrounded with turned to me and began to greet me.

I only knew their names because of their tags. Most were unrecognizable to their younger selves. Calvin was also greeted, his tag saying 'Calvin Fischer: Painter and Alistair McClair's Boyfriend.' He wrote that himself.

Jeremy managed to get the group dispersed and asked me and Calvin to sit next to him. I knew this meant that he wanted to catch up.

"How you've been?" He asked.

"I'd say okay," I replied.

"Okay?" He boisterously asked, a feature I very much remember about him. "Dude, you're like crazy rich now. If I was in your position, I wouldn't just say I was 'okay.'"