Chapter Thirty-Nine

Alistair McClair

Alistair McClair

Paul Ouellette, the IT's department head, nervously looked at me as I glanced at him, after looking at the photos on his laptop.

"I'm going to be honest, Paul. I have no idea what I'm looking at." I told him. Paul turned the laptop around and saw that he had shown me a screenshot of the Victoria's Secret website.

A large blush came on his face. "Sorry," He muttered. At first, I thought that it was for his wife. But then I remembered that Paul doesn't have a wife. Either way, I'm not judging.

Paul typed away. I still remember when I hired him. It was when Kostas needed more help with the tech side of things. While Kostas prides himself on knowing about Google Suites, he still required some additional hands. Paul was a man looking for a better job, and came onto the scene.

"Here, I found it." He then showed me a different screen shot.

As I read through, I noticed that it was a text conversation between several people. I scanned through a few more texts until I pieced together that the conversation was between Ronald, Regina, and Terry.

This proves Calvin's theory: That these events are all connected in one way. And it seems that their main targets were to topple Calvin and I.

"I'm sorry I didn't bring this to you sooner. I was watching their chats and knew I had to keep collecting enough evidence." Paul said.

I let out a small huff through my nose. "Don't be sorry, Paul. The fact that you brought this to me either way shows that you got the courage." I said. "Though, I am curious as to why now."

He glanced away quickly, until he leaned in. I leaned in too.

"I was threatened." He whispered.

"Paul, this is my office. You don't have to be afraid. But who threatened you?" I then asked.

"Francesca Farraway." He said. I furrowed my eyebrows. "She's Ronald Farraway's niece. She told me that if I told you about this, that I would be fired without severance."

"Wait. Ronald's niece? When did she start working here?" I asked suddenly. Paul jumped and leaned back in his seat.

"She started a few months back. She was placed as project manager, even though me and the others didn't believe she wasn't qualified." Paul sputtered out.

I glanced back at the screenshots. "I truly had no idea that Ronald was doing this, hiring his family for higher positions. Is this happening anywhere else?" I asked him.

"Yes. In the past few months, new workers have been hired in the IT, legal, merchandise, PR, shipping, and more departments. I did some research on them and found that they all had some form of connection to several members of the board. Whether they be family or friends, their jobs were far above their qualifications. We all thought you knew, but judging by your reaction, I'm sure you had no idea about the recent changes in the company." Paul said.