Chapter Nine

Calvin Fischer

Calvin Fischer

Tonight was the art exhibit. And Alistair is attending. At least, I hope he still is. He did promise that he would come tonight, but I'm keeping my expectations low.

Evelyn instructed how the event was going to play out. The studio was changed, and walls were set up. Different sections would be designated for a single person and their art. And each artist must spend their time near their area, in case any buyers have questions.

Once we were all in position, the doors opened. People flooded in and all began to look at the art. I had several people ask about mine, to which I was able to provide a description of them. From past events, people don't buy the art immediately.

Rather, these times are used as places for people to talk to one another. And sometimes, they may buy an artwork or two. But that only occurs until much later, near midnight. People were just enjoying the snacks and silence of the gallery.

One hour into the event, Evelyn walked over to my station with a cup of water in her hands.

"Here." She said, handing me the cup.

"Thanks." I replied. I chugged the water quickly, then crushed the paper cup.

"When's Alistair arriving?" She asked.

"Not sure. He hasn't texted me all day. But I think he might show up." I told her.

"M'kay. He may be a millionaire, but just know that I will still close the doors at midnight."

"Got it."

Before she left, Evelyn glanced at me quickly. "Has Alistair bought you a gift?" She asked.

"No. I mean, he bought me something from the aquarium gift shop. And he paid for our meal during our first date. But he hasn't bought me anything." I answered.

"Alright. Maybe gifts aren't his thing." She said.

"Is that my Cal?" A voice yelled. I turned and saw my mom and dad walking towards me. I quickly ran over to them and hugged my mom.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked them.

"We wanted to see your art. We have to support our son, don't we?" Mom asked. Dad held a handful of crackers in his hand and was snacking on them.

"I just came for the snacks." Dad said with a mouthful. Mom took a cracker from his hands and ate it.

"Uh, wanna check my collection?" I asked. I stood to the side and let my mom and dad look at my work. The two of them began to examine my work.

"What's this one?" Mom asked.

The painting she pointed to was a canvas that I painted from memory. The skyline was dark, but there were blobs of yellows, oranges, and whites to mimic lights. The bottom half of the painting was the same at the top, but upside down and wavy to look like a reflection in water.