Chapter Fourteen

Calvin Fischer

Calvin Fischer

After a quiet drive to my parent's house, Alistair pulled up to their driveway and let me get out. But before I did, I saw his hand on his lap lightly twitching. Upon closer look, his fingers were moving slowly toward my direction.

He isn't the type to make direct contact. And when he does, it is always by surprise. So I inched my hand closer to his.

"Want me to hold your hand?" I asked him. He jumped a bit from this, and tucked his hand back onto the steering wheel.

"Maybe next time." He muttered. There wasn't any eye contact. And I already missed his eyes.

"Well, this is me. I'll... go now." I opened the door. As I got out with my clothes in hand, I felt something grab my– or Alistair's– shirt.

"Goodbye." Alistair softly said. I turned around and saw him looking down but still holding onto my shirt.

"Goodbye, Alistair. Text me when you're done with your workout." I said. He looked up and gave me a soft smile.

"Okay." He said.

"You can let go now." I told him.

"Right. Sorry." He let go of my shirt. I gave him another wave before closing the door on him. He turned on the car and exited the driveway. He looked at me one more time and then drove off down the street.

There was a loud thunderous roar and a flash of light. A bit of rain began to fall on me.

"Crap!" I said and ran to my parent's roofed porch. I can't get this shirt dirty or stained with water.

The front door opened and my father stood there, clearly still half-asleep. He scanned me up and down and yawned.

"The whorehouse is 3 miles away." Dad said, then closed the door.

"Seriously?" I said. "Dad! Let me in! I'm cold!"

The door opened and mom was on the other side. "Get in. Hurry." She said. I got in and removed the slippers at the front door.

"Thanks a lot, dad." I sarcastically said. He sat on the couch and raised his mug of coffee at me.

"Anytime, kiddo." He cheered. I rolled my eyes. I set my clothes on a stool nearby.

"Was that Alistair driving?" Mom asked. She handed me a mug of coffee.

"Yeah. I uh... stayed over at his place." I replied. Both mom and dad stopped drinking their coffee.

The two have been weary about my love life ever since my breakup with my toxic ex. I've caught them doing background checks on every person, both male and female, that I know. For a while, my dad even hired a person to follow my ex to know his whereabouts.

This stopped after I forced them to. I understand that they care and only want what's best for me. However, I feel that I deserve to live without my parents controlling everything from the shadows.