Chapter Sixteen

Alistair McClair

Alistair McClair

I paced back and forth in my office, repeating a single line to myself over and over again. I needed to memorize a single sentence. But memorizing it isn't the problem. It's getting the courage to say it out loud.

A few hours before this, I called Calvin, asking him to come to my office. He was a bit confused as to why I needed to see him, instead of just texting him. There was a small realization that I rarely ask Calvin to talk face to face. He's used to me just texting him to say things, not talking to him. I'll need to work on that.

As I kept pacing, there was a knock on my door. Meredith poked her head in, informing me that Calvin was waiting outside. I stopped my pacing and set my cards away. Then I fixed my suit, making sure it was neatly organized.

"Let him in." I told her. She winked at me and disappeared. A few seconds later, the door opened wider and Calvin entered my office.

Calvin stood at the door of my office. He jumped when the door closed behind him. Poor guy looked scared. He was all alone in my office. He refused to meet my eyes. Instead, his attention was focused on my shelves, containing many books.

"Why are you standing there? Take a seat." I spoke to him. He flinched but slowly walked to one of the chairs in front of my desk.

"You asked to meet me?" He asked. It was only a few days ago that I tried to hold his hand before he got out of my car.

"I did." I replied. He kept his eyes distracted. This bothered me, as I needed his full attention on me.

If we're going to have a proper conversation, as a couple, I need him to look at me. It's a sign of trust and understanding.

"Calvin, could you look at me?" I asked him. He turned his head. Finally, I could see his brown and blue eyes. They're beautiful. "There we go." I muttered.

"You wanted to talk?" He asked.

"I have a question to ask you." I said.

"Go ahead. I'm listening." He replied. He relaxed a bit in his seat, his shoulders slumping down and his knee stopped shaking.

"I uh..." Fuck. I had practiced this for nearly an hour. And now, I'm croaking.

"Uh-huh..." Calvin replied.

"Do you want to go to oregano?" I asked quickly.

He tilted his head and chuckled. "Oregano?" He asked in a small giggle. I clenched my fist and felt my face get hot and red. Are the gods cursing me right now?

"Shit!" I muttered. "I meant Oregon. Do you want to go to Oregon with me?" I asked him, finally able to say the sentence correctly.

"For what?" He asked.

Context, idiot!

"A gala. I got invited by a client. It's going to be for a weekend. We won't be there for long." I added.