Chapter Four

Alistair McClair

Alistair McClair

Monday rolled around. I was a bit excited for the new work day, because there was a packet of pens from a Japanese company that I've been excited to try. I encountered a worker on the elevator, as she scanned through some papers.

"Good morning, Mr. McClair." She said.

"Good morning, Katherine." I replied. I always make sure that I know all my employees' names. From my top directors to even the janitor.

While Katherine was sifting through her documents, I noticed a photo in the stack. I reached and grabbed that paper and pulled it out. The employee didn't contest and let me do it.

The picture was a photo of me, arms crossed with my company's logo behind me. But plastered in rainbow letters underneath was the phrase 'Now LGBTQ+ Friendly.'

"Who made this?" I asked Katherine. She stuttered a bit but maintained her composure.

"The publicity team insisted that we get these out as soon as possible." She replied.

"Thank you for telling me." I told her. The elevator opened to her floor and she got off. I kept riding until I reached my floor. As soon as I entered, Meredith came running out, waving a pride flag and handing it to me.

"How's my favorite gay CEO?" She excitedly said.

"Can you... not?" I said. She pulled out a small pride-pin and hooked it on my suit jacket.

"Can't. We've got huge things happening. I'll brief you on them." She said. We walked to my office, while Meredith informed me of all the new changes that my company is holding.

I sat on my desk and noticed a framed photo that someone put. It was the picture that Calvin and I took on the day I asked him out.

"So, how was the date?" Meredith said, taking a seat in front of me.

"Fine." I said. Meredith began snickering. "What's funny?" I asked.

"You said fine." She said. "You've always described your prior dates as repulsive or a waste of time."

"If you're saying what I think you're saying..." I warned her.

"I'm not! I'm just pointing it out." She crossed her leg over the other. "Tell me about him. What's he like?"

"Very talkative." I said.

"But that's fine, right? You're a man of few words. Having a talkative partner is a great counterbalance. But was he talkative like annoying or comforting?" She asked.

"Strangely comforting." I replied. "And I know that he's a genuine person at heart."

"Oh no. Did you do the wrong order test?"

I nodded. "I just told the waiter to bring him the wrong food. Instead of making a fuss, he was calm about it. Treating waitstaff is one way to tell if a person has good character."