Chapter Ten

Alistair McClair

Alistair McClair

Calvin excused himself, but I did catch that he looked frightened. I don't think he knows how obvious his facial expressions are. I can see when he's scared, happy, nervous, and even blushing. Honestly, he's kind of shit at hiding his expressions.

But it's also entertaining to see how he tries to hide himself.

"You bought a painting." Meredith said.

"Yeah. I liked it." I said.

"Where are you going to put it?" She then asked.

"Probably in my office." I replied. She had a goofy smile on her face. "If you have something to say..."

"Wha- I have nothing to say. Can't a gal just be proud of her boss-slash-friend? Who do you take me for, Alistair?" Meredith jokingly teased.

"I know how you are. Me buying one of his paintings isn't a declaration of love. I just liked it. That's all." I said.

"Okie-dokie. Sure. Mhm. Whatever you say." Meredith said. I'm not going to change her opinion. Once she's made up her mind, it's almost impossible to convince her otherwise.

Calvin had been missing for a few minutes by this point. I didn't see Evelyn either, who whispered something in his ear before he took his exit. Meredith caught onto this, as she asked if we should go looking for him.

"Give it five more minutes." I stated.

Five minutes passed, and he was still gone. By this point, I became alert. So Meredith and I began to walk in the direction that Calvin had traversed through. We caught up with Evelyn, and told her to take us to where Calvin was.

She escorted us to the back of the building. Before I opened the door to the back, I heard a bit of a loud argument.

"Just give me one more chance, Cal! I promise, I'll treat you like the king you deserve to be treated like." I heard an unknown voice say.

"I told you, Terry! The answer is no! I already have a boyfriend!" Calvin replied.

"Who? That Alistair guy? He's gonna break up with you eventually! Just leave him and come back to me." The guy said.

"Stop! Get away!" I heard Calvin struggling. I quickly opened the door and saw Calvin pinned against the wall, with a random guy holding his neck.

In an instant, I landed a punch on the guy's face. The guy let go of Calvin and seethed in pain. I placed him behind me to protect him.

"Heh. I guess your boyfriend came to protect you." The guy spat some blood on the floor.

"Just leave, Terry!" Calvin yelled from behind me. I stared at the guy, easily showing that I can take him on.

"Whatever..." The guy muttered. He quickly ran down the street and disappeared into the night. Once I knew he was out of sight, I calmed down. Evelyn bent down somewhere near where Calvin had been pinned and picked up his keychain.