Chapter Forty-Six

Alistair McClair

Alistair McClair

My life is great. No more could be said, honestly. Everything was exactly as I wanted it to be. My family is doing well, my business is booming, and my relationships are strengthening. I have reached a peak moment in my life, and everyday, it gets better. 

It was a cold day in January. Much time has passed, and in two months, it will be the one year anniversary of my relationship with Calvin Fischer. 

Upon the clock hitting New Year’s, I asked Calvin to live with me. He was hesitant to, but I let him know that I would make sure nothing changes in our relationship. He would have a driver to drive him to work and back, and we could split up the chores around the apartment. 

We were quick to fall into a routine. Waking up next to a man with messy hair and marks on his necks was never a sight I’d imagine seeing every morning. 

After lunch ended, I received a call from Calvin for a daily After-Lunch-Chats. 

“Alistair, how was lunch?” He asked. 

“Good. I ate the leftovers from yesterday. And you? Was your lunch good?” I asked.

“Pretty good. Evelyn was starving, though. And she ate some of it.”

“Then I guess I’ll have to fill you up later,” I teased. Calvin let out some chuckles. 

“Silly Alistair.” He said. After we talked, we hung up and I returned to working. 

Meredith entered my office with some folders in her hands. She handed them to me for signing off. But she also took a seat at one of the chairs in front of my desk. 

“Never knew getting a promotion would mean more work.” She huffed. 

“What did you expect, candy and teddy bears?” I asked her. She remained pouting. “You asked for a promotion for a long time.”

“Fine,” She rolled her eyes. “You have an over-the-phone meeting in an hour. And the engineers for the business complex want you to come down in a few days to check the progress.”

“Got it.” I replied. She stood up and was about to leave until she turned around.

“It’s great seeing you smile,” She said, giving me a wink. “You’ve changed a lot, and I think I speak for everyone when I say that it’s amazing.”

“Thank you for the notice.” I told her. 

I continued my work as normal. Even if what Meredith says is true, that I’ve changed, I don’t really feel it. Perhaps the changes aren’t something I can feel myself. Maybe I’m happier, and look forward to it everyday. 

As long as everyone else can tell, at least my influence has spread. I want people to remember me as the serious but sometimes happy guy. 

Some issues at work came up. But I told Calvin to go right ahead and enter the apartment. I was finishing up some assignments with Kostas. And when we finally finished, the two of us exited my office.