Chapter Twenty-Five

Calvin Fischer

Calvin Fischer

"Is Alistair anywhere nearby?" I asked Meredith.

"No. He's gone to the bathroom." She replied in a whisper.

"Good. I called the bakery and they'll have the cake ready tomorrow. You distract Alistair in his office." I explained to her.

"Then, when the day ends, I'll bring him up to his apartment where we'll surprise him." Meredith then added.

"Sounds like a plan. Make sure to keep it on the low. We don't want him finding out."

"Got it." Meredith whispered back. I heard the sound of a door opening on her end and then the voice of Alistair. She then hung up quickly.

Meredith and I have been planning for Alistair's birthday party. Every year, according to her, he has a small celebration with just a cake. While I may not be able to rent out an island or an amusement park, I still want his day to be special.

Plus, Alistair is turning 30 years old. Which means that this one needs to be even more special. The other people invited are Evelyn and Kostas, whom both agreed to bring drinks and food.

A coworker walked into my space of creativity and tapped on my shoulder. "Calvin, come! They're airing your interview." She told me.

I washed my hands and left to where everyone was gathered around the TV. Even though it was my interview, I still sat in the back to avoid looking at it. Evelyn shushed everyone as the commercial ended and it showed the woman who interviewed me.

"Oh, God..." I muttered and hid my face.

The only good thing that came from the interview was that Meredith sent me a picture of Alistair watching it. The picture reminded me of how kids sit in front of a TV as they're deeply engrossed in their show. In this case, however, it was a grown man sitting in front of his TV watching his boyfriend on it.

After the interview ended, I returned to my space of working to continue my drawing. People came up to me and congratulated me on my interview. I thanked them, but secretly was waiting for it to be time to leave.

Work ended, and I was in the breakroom getting ready to leave. Then Alistair began to call me.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Is this Calvin Fischer? The handsome man from TV?" Alistair asked.

I chuckled. "This is him. Are you a fan?" I asked, deciding to play along with him.

"Huge fan. I know that it's not ethical, but would you like to go on a date with me? It would make my entire year." Alistair said.

"Sure. Anything for a fan." I said. Alistair let out a few chuckles.

"But seriously, I really enjoyed your interview. The only thing I didn't like was that the camera wasn't on you constantly." He said.

Even though he couldn't see me, I still blushed and turned away. "Lucky for you, I'm always just a phone call away." I replied.