Chapter Forty

Calvin Fischer

Calvin Fischer

For the next four days, Alistair acted like nothing wrong was happening. He would wake up, shower, eat, and go down to his office. It was strange. Since I was living with him during my days off, I was able to get a better look at Alistair's routine.

One of Alistair's vital parts of his routine is his night routine. Strangely, he claims that it's a way for him to destress at night. This would explain his sudden calmness right before going to bed and how easy it was for him to sleep.

Another is the gym. Four times out of the week, he'll go to the gym for over an hour and then take a quick shower. And I honestly am not complaining. Personally, I'll sit on a nearby bench and either join him or watch him. There's just something about an attractive man grunting loudly while sweat runs down his face.

While Alistair was at work, Meredith stopped by because she wanted to talk to me about something.

"Have you noticed anything off about Alistair?" She asked.

"He's been completely normal for the past few days," I replied.

"Exactly. That in itself is strange. The man is about to be removed from his company but has not reacted." She said.

"I thought you would know, seeing as how you're his assistant and all."

She let out a small laugh. "Truthfully, I don't know everything about him. But as his boyfriend, I thought you might know." She answered back.

I said, "I guess none of us know. He most likely has a plan. But I'm worried because, whatever his plan is, he's obviously not executing it."

"We know how Alistair is. My guess is he's waiting for the right moment to strike."

"And what are the board members doing?" I asked. "How is the gaggle of Judases and Brutuses?"

Meredith let out a frustrated sigh. "They've been parading around the building and have even begun trying to implement new policies."

"Such as?" I asked.

"Ronald has already begun outlining a new policy for vacations. A thing people like about the current standing about vacation days is they get three weeks. And if you don't use them by the end of the year, you can cash them out. But Ronald is going to decrease it to one week and remove the cash-out option."

"Surely people won't stand for this? I mean, one thing workers never stand for is interfering with their vacation days." I said.

"And you'd be right. The backlash has been severe. And Alistair has caught wind of it. All he told them was that he'll work his hardest to make sure that not much changes. But from what I'm seeing, everything will change." Meredith explained.

I looked down at the table mats and stared into my cup of tea. "I have hope that Alistair is going to fix this. He's the type to have an ace up his sleeve."