Chapter-71

As we stepped into the grand hall, Alexei's arm around my waist sent a possessive vibe through me. My hair brushed my face, but I hesitated to fix it, feeling a bit tongue-tied and on edge. My heart was drunk on this new feeling.

For the first time in all the years I spent in fear and grief, I found myself letting go of that sensation finally. My eyes automatically moved to Ralph as he stood beside me.

My heart fluttered as I gazed at him. Something in me wanted him to feel me like trees. And he was the wind.

My heart knew it all, and I felt like I found someone meant for me. I realised I did not need light in my life, I needed darkness. Their darkness. I needed to be taint. To be corrupted.

The realization of being in love was like a quiet storm suddenly enveloping me. It was not a loud feeling but a subtle whisper that echoed through my heart.

The warmth that spread from within, a gentle realization that they became the melody to my thoughts and the colour in my world. Ironical how these men were the same who painted my life with red and black.

It's agonising how their presence brought pain with pleasure, and their absence left an unmistakable void.

The void that only they could fill.

I focused my eyes back at the front where Killian shared a look with Alexei and walked away. I looked confusedly as Alexei's burly arms left my waist and he slowly turned around to nod at Ralph.

"Stay with me," he said, a hint of warning in his words. Memories of the past flashed in my mind, urging me to keep my emotions in check.

"I understand," I replied.

A sly smile appeared on his lips as he pulled me a bit closer. We exchanged breaths, and he stepped back, maintaining a possessive gaze.

"You know what you have to do, right?" He said and Ralph nodded. A nonverbal conversation was shared between them as Ralph took his place on my side.

"Rest assured. I'll give a signal." He said and I frowned more. Were they planning something?

Alexei's gaze softened and warmth unfolded like a gentle sunrise. Yet, amidst the warmth, there lingered an intense darkness of the unknown that sent a chill down my spine. I did not feel good about that as my heart sank.

It was the gaze of regret. I recognise it solemnly. "Alexei—what is happening?"

"Do you trust me, Rara?" Alexei's voice was so deep with emotions as he looked into my eyes. When I did not say anything, he grabbed my hair and pushed it behind my ear. "Do you?" His voice softened.

I licked my dry lips slowly nodding. "I do...but..." I hesitated feeling something was about to happen. "Don't break my trust, please..." my breath shortened. "I just...don't want to hate you again."

Alexei chuckled, his voice like music to my ears as he caressed my cheek. "Stay out of trouble for me then." Before I could stop him, he was walking away. My heart was heavy as I tried to call him.

"Alexe—" Ralph hooked his arm around my waist pulling me away to the rows of seats and couches placed in a dimly lit red room. Several people surrounded the area who looked rich.

Ralph's arm was possessive as he stealthily led us to the round table where Romano's was written. The table had four seats, two of them unfilled. People gawked at us or him as they whispered among themselves. I couldn't recognise any face feeling intimidated and out of place.

My heart thudded loudly as I hoped everything was alright. When we were about to sit, I pulled out of Ralph's hold and glared at him. His eyes narrowed as he glared down at me. But I did not care. I needed answers. My eyes burned as my body felt hot.

"What is happening, Ralph? Where are they going? What are you planning? Should I be worried? Will you hurt—"

He opened to mouth to say something when a familiar voice interrupted. Looking over Ralph's shoulder, I saw Antonio Romano walking towards us with a victorious smile on his face.

The sudden look on his face compelled me to take a hesitant step backwards. My breath quickened. Fingers trembled as they clutched at Ralph's elbow as he turned around to follow my fearful eyes.

"Well, well, if it isn't my favourite daughter-in-law." His eyes lingered on Ralph's stomach as he chuckled darkly. "You're quite a tough nut to crack."

Ralph quickly shielded my body with his, pushing me behind him as Antonio laughed.

Fear was like a sudden chill that raced down my spine, making my heart skip a beat. It was the knot in my stomach, the hesitation in my steps, and the shadows that seemed to linger a bit longer. An invisible hand tightened around my chest, making every breath an effort.

What was he doing here?

"Can't say the same about your skull though." Ralph gritted through his teeth.

Antonio smirked, his eyes darkening. "Well, we can say that about your mother. The poor woman died out of her stupidity." He tilted his head and I felt Ralph's anger.

"You killed her," Ralph said without a flicker of any emotion. If it wasn't for his hold tightening on my waist, I would've imagined he was not capable of feeling anything. My eyes widened as I looked between them. Ralph's mother? Antonio killed her? I had my doubts but now they were talking about her, I felt bad for Ralph.

Antonio tilted his head, clearly mocking Ralph. "How do you know I killed her? What do they say about the dead? Oh, yes, dead tell no tales."

"You're right, dead don't. But alive do."

Antonio's eyebrows raised feigning concern. "So what? What will you do? Kill me? Do it." Lips curled in mockery. "I am not afraid of death."

I expected Ralph to snap, but instead, he simply shrugged his shoulders. Antonio seemed taken off guard as Ralph chuckled shaking his head. "You don't have to fear death, Father."

When he raised his head to look at Antonio, there was hollowness, numbness and something darker than Alexei's eyes. "Fear me. Cause I won't be as merciful as death when I kill you, slowly and painfully that you'd wish it was death instead of me."