Chapter-60

I swallowed to help the dryness in my throat, suddenly far less sure of the wisdom of the plan Alessandro put me through. What if I fail? Or worse, what if they find out?

"Twenty minutes sixty-six seconds," Killian sighed looking at his watch, propping his hip on the edge of the table and looking like a big cat ready to pounce on me. His pale eyes squinting.

"What were you exactly doing in there, Schmetterling? Almost make me believe you escaped or something." Something in my expression must've betrayed me because he let out a short chuckle. "Ah, I know you won't. Cause there's nowhere you can go."

Padding towards me in his expensive shoes, he grabbed my hand, "Come here, Schmetterling."

I nodded, feeling like a mute but afraid that my voice might betray my nervousness. This was not the best plan. Why had I thought that bearding the lion in his den was somehow better than trying to avoid him altogether?

But there was no turning back now.

Nudging me to my seat, he gently whispered how much he missed me, his tone was overly amused.

My chin went up at the realization that Alexei was staring—glaring—at me. "Sorry for that," I said coolly, taking pride in the level tone of my voice.

His face darkened, and his eyes seemed to turn into pools of liquid coal. "Eat." He commanded.

No need to be told twice, I ate. Strangely my appetite was back. Be it exhaustion or anxiety, I finished my food in less than ten minutes. I barely paid any attention to what Alexei was Ralph were conversing about. Killian would make a sarcastic comment or two earning a bone-chilling glare from Ralph.

The cold metal in my chest pierced my skin.

"Fifty-seven million is the last resort he'll settle for. I don't think I can keep him away for that long. It's either now or never situation." Still looking down at his plate, he said with a shake of his head, "But it's not entirely impossible. You have evidence, right? Use them. Expose him to the public." That piqued my interest. Either of them was not just rich but filthy rich with billions in their pockets, so why would a mere amount of fifty million would agitate them?

Who were they talking about even? Evidences? Fifty-seven million dollars?

I listened to them carefully hoping to catch something that could ease me. Some part of me did not want to believe Alessandro while the others did not want to believe them either.

"I wish it was that simple." Ralph sighed. I observed him for a brief second. Tired drowsy eyes and faint dark circles under his eyes. He was slumped on his chair, his posture betraying the weariness that settled deep between his brows. Strangely, I felt rather concerned.

"Then it leaves no option other than to use violence." The spoon froze between my fingers. Killian's hand on my thigh was like a shackle yet Alexei's words took me off guard.

"It was my last string." Ralph nodded at Alexei with something determined gleaming in his eyes. "Though I don't mind choosing the second option. Just need to drag him in there and make it seem like an accident." Ralph's eyes glistened for the first time throughout the night with mischief.

Alexei's face possessed an icy neutrality, unlike anything I had ever seen, yet hidden beneath its tough exterior, there simmered an undeniable allure. As his fork met the table, his gaze met Ralph's with a dark amusement.

"Yes, we can. I guess this is the perfect moment to strike the hammer on red-hot steel." Tilting his head to side he bellowed. "There's an auction coming up this weekend, I bet he'd be there." Whoever this 'he' was, seemed like someone my husband hated with their guts. Kilian however seemed unfazed, focusing on his food and his hand on my thigh yet Alexei and Ralph seemed to be in heated discussion. Whether they deemed me naive or simply didn't care if they were discussing this in front of me.