Chapter-38

Two years ago

ROMANO JEWELLERS, the shiny banner proclaimed as we entered the high-end jewellery house, which had been transformed into a big multi-storey building worthy of a hotel. The latest indie songs blared from the speakers, and the atmosphere is expensive with the rich aroma of money and diamonds.

I didn't want to be here, since I was still not feeling well, but Stefan's visit today was solely for the ring shopping.

After lunch with Uncle Alessandro, Papa forced me to go with Stefan. We both kept quiet throughout the ride, the thick tension between us was visible. I had so many questions to ask him, but the time was not right. Stefan seemed as fidgety as me. The sooner I'd be done with ring shopping, the better it would be.

"You can choose whatever ring you want," Stefan said. "I'll be back in a minute." Before I could answer, he was already walking out. I let out a sigh. Here I was, alone. I never imagined I'd be shopping for my wedding without anyone by my side. It shouldn't be this heart-wrenching, but the pang in my chest stated otherwise.

The manager was a man—in his late thirties—with a warm smile on his face as he greeted me.

"Ms Morris, Welcome." He beamed excitedly. I smiled at him as he guided me to the grand opening. There were not many people since the shop was elite, but some classy high-end ladies gave awestruck looks. "We have picked out some of our best jewels, would you like to try them or should I get some drinks for you? A snack perhaps?"

I denied it before he guided me to the private lounge. He talked about Antonio Romano and Stefan throughout the way, sugarcoating his words. The news of the alliance between Morris and Romano spread like wildfire. Romano's were influential in the business industry. Even in my childhood, I heard a lot about them. Papa would make me learn his business associates' names.

But never have I heard about Ralph. It was like he was an invisible sheep in his family. More like besides his paintings, not even his picture was up. I learned about him the day my marriage with Stefan was finalised. Neither did I ever see Ralph converse with his family. It was like he was there, but somewhere else.

I frowned when I thought back to our conversation the other day and a sigh left my mouth.

If I were to marry Stefan, I would end everything between Ralph and me. And then another fear overtook me. If I marry Stefan, what would Killian and Alexei do?

"There are some designs still fresh and new. Haven't even been introduced in the catalogue. This costs more than two million dollars." The manager, whose name I was yet to learn, shoved the ring plate in my face. I huffed, calming myself to not lash out at him. Million kr not, this ring was no better than an invisible hose around my neck.

I inspected the material, platinum and gold moulded in a beautiful round shape with star-shaped sparkly diamonds amidst. It was something Scarlett would love or even any woman in love with diamonds. As beautiful as I found it to be, it didn't erase the fact once I had this ring on my finger, my life would be over.

Stefan did not love me, neither did I. We would be in a loveless marriage. Where we'd meet each other every single day at the dinner table without any exchange of words. I'd be his trophy wife, and he'd be my rich young husband.

The bitterness rose in my throat as I looked at the smallest ring with just a tiny diamond.

"I'll have it." The manager gave me a pensive look.

"We have other options, Ruby is in the fashion, what about emerald? We can match something with your dress, do you have a pic—"

"I appreciate your concern, but I'll have this."