Chapter-33

At that very moment, the world seemed to come crashing down around me as Alexei unexpectedly departed, leaving behind a turbulent mix of emotions leaving me utterly bewildered and disoriented. The subsequent waves of astonishment reverberating within the depths of my heart only added to the overwhelming confusion engulfing me. It was as if a sudden chord of astonishment had caught me off guard, causing my equilibrium to spiral ever so slightly out of control.

As I stood there, rooted to the spot, everything around me seemed to fade into the background, drowned out by the distant and almost melodic sound of water flowing relentlessly down the tap. Time stood still, as if frozen in that very moment, as my mind processed the multitude of thoughts and unanswered questions that swirled within.

Slowly, I unclenched my fists, releasing the tension that had built up from the unexpected turn of events. The weight of my confusion seemed to lift slightly as I exhaled a heavy sigh, feeling the weight of the world slip away, if only momentarily.

Yet, even after five long minutes had passed, I still couldn't shake off the disarray that consumed me. The lingering aftermath of Alexei's sudden change of persona continued to haunt my thoughts, leaving me in a state of introspection and contemplation. Did Alexei Volkov just gave me space?

I swallowed hard and began undressing, looking over my shoulder now and then expecting Alexei to barge in through those doors and force me. I was so used to their intimidating presence that my every thought consisted of them. If not them, then all the cruel things they ever did to me. Forcing this life on me. Taking my loved ones away from me, killing my family, killing Stefan. My chest clenched remembering Stefan's lifeless body amidst the several other dead bodies of our families.

My soul shuddered. It was as if my soul itself could not bear the weight of the immense tragedy that unfolded before my eyes. The loss I experienced went beyond just losing my family; it extended to the very essence of who I was as an individual. Gone were the dreams and aspirations that had once fueled my every step, replaced now by an overwhelming sense of despair and hopelessness.

Reflecting on the events that led to this profound sorrow, I couldn't help but be consumed by regret. Despite Killian's warning, I did not break the engagement, yet my stubbornness and helplessness had blinded me from heeding his threatening words. If only I had possessed the strength to resist the engagement, perhaps none of this devastation would have happened. I alone bore the weight of responsibility for the countless lives lost, haunted by the knowledge that it was all because of my ill-fated decision.

I had also lost my own sense of identity. The sense of freedom that once coursed through my veins now felt like a distant memory, replaced by the suffocating grip of guilt and remorse.

Self-loathe mixed with guilt gripped my chest, making it suddenly impossible to breathe. The warm water felt like I was bathing in their blood. My body went limp as I found myself slipping under the water, the porcelain marble of the tub rubbing against my naked skin as flashes of that dreadful night played like a reel in front of my eyes.

I lost this game. I was theirs. For as long as they want. Their prisoner, their little slave who would do anything her masters desired. I shuddered at the thought. This wasn't as easy as it sounded, it was more than that. They were not men in love, they were mad men in obsession.

My chest burned as my throat tightened.

Suddenly a thought crossed my mind as my eyes snapped open. Alessandro Vitale. If and only if I aware him of myself, he'd do anything to get me out of their grip. Yes. Yes, that's it.

I jerked up as I gasped for air. Gripping the sides of the tub tightly, I stared into the ripples forming in water.

I overheard Killian telling Ralph about his race in Paris. Paris. Where Damian Gonzales resided—one of Alessandro's closest friends —if he know about me, he'd surely tell Alessandro. He could be my messenger.