To Be a Hashira

"Mother hasn't come home. Is she alright?" A child asks, grabbing a young Genya's attention.

"It's all right. Sanemi went to look for her," Genya reassured.

"But..." The child trails off.

"She's never been this late before. It's nearly dawn," a female child piped up.

"It's okay. You must be tired. Sleep. When you wake up, Mother and Sanemi will have returned," Genya replied.

Loud banging was heard from the front door, which caused several kids to perk up and run over to the door.

"Mother?!"

"Mother!"

Genya immediately panicked. "Wait! Don't open it! It might not be Mom!" He shouted.

A figure came stampeding into the house.

Blood was flying into the air which belonged to the kids that had gotten close to the front door.

Genya had blood flying from the bridge of his nose which made him flinch.

Genya's younger siblings could be seen standing emotionless for a few moments before slumping over.

'An animal?! A wild dog... No! A wolf!! It's dark! I can't see! It's fast!' Genya thought as he watched the figure rush in his direction.

Before the person could attack him, a young Sanemi was seen slamming into the attacker.

"Genya! Run!" Sanemi yelled.

"Sanemi!" Genya shouted as he watched Sanemi and the person he slammed into crash through the window.

A thud was heard as the two figures landed on the ground outside.

"Shuya! Hiroshi! Koto! Teiko! Sumi!" Genya cried out. "Put pressure on the wound! I'll get a doctor right away! Hang in there!" Genya exclaimed.

The young boy quickly ran out of the house to find the doctor just to freeze in step.

He saw Sanemi covered in blood, and standing over their mother's body.

"Mom?!" Genya shouted, rushing over and bringing his mother into his arms. "WAAAH! Mom! Mom! Why? Why?! Why did you kill Mom?! AAAAH!" Genya cried out, tears dripping down his cheeks. "Murderer! You murderer!" He repeated.

Sanemi stood there in shock, listening to his younger brother's words.

✧˖*°࿐

The scene changes to a young Sanemi pushing a cart with Genya walking behind him, carrying something tied up with cloth around his shoulders.

"Genya... The two of us must protect the family...now that our father is dead," Sanemi says. "It's a relief he's gone, but...without a father, everyone feels hopeless. From now on, you and I will protect our mother and our younger siblings. All right?"

"Not just from now on, but like we always have. Right?" Genya asks.

Sanemi looked over at Genya and gave him a close-eyed smile as a response.

Genya stood frozen as he waited for Sekido to pierce his staff into him from behind.

'I'm sorry, Sanemi. I'm going to die without ever apologizing. You smiling at me...is too good of a thing to flash before my eyes. I didn't have any talent, Sanemi. I can't use breathing...and I can't become a Hashira. It's hard to find a Hashira unless you become one... I worked so hard, but in the end it was no use.' Genya apologized in his mind.

"Scum like you...can't be my brother. Quit the Demon Slayer Corps."

Sanemi's words echoed through Genya's head which caused him to tear up.

'Why?! I'm your little brother!' Genya continued to think.

As Genya was hit on the side of the neck, Sekido stumbled back as Tanjiro made an appearance by protecting the other slayer.

"Genya! Don't give up!" Tanjiro shouted.

Genya looked up in surprise.

"Try again! Try to cut its head off! Do not give up! This time you can do it! I'll cover you! Focus on cutting off its head! Aren't you going to become a Hashira...Genya Shinazugawa?!" Tanjiro shouted once more.

Genya stared at Tanjiro in silence before both of their eyes widened.

A spear was pointing at Tanjiro's back from behind.

'Uh-oh! Behind me!' Tanjiro thought.

Weeping Spears

Multiple attacks at once went in Tanjiro's direction, slicing down multiple trees at the same time.

'Uh-oh! He's got me...dead on! Hmm?' Tanjiro thought before realizing he didn't feel any pain.

He then looked over his shoulder and stared in shock.

Genya had taken the attack head-on as there were multiple holes through his body.

"Go!" Genya shouted.

"Genya!" Tanjiro yelled, worried for his comrade.

"I can't take its head. You do it. Just this one time, I'll allow it," Genya says as he gritted his teeth.

Tanjiro quickly got up onto his feet at Genya's words and started running.

Loud bangs were heard as Genya pulled the trigger of his gun multiple times.

At the same time, electricity came raining down which Tanjiro narrowly dodged.

'There! It's tiny!' Tanjiro thought as he ran forward, his blade blazing as he swung at Hantengu's neck.

'Yes! It's gonna work!' Tanjiro thought.

"GYAAAHH!" Hantengu screamed into the air.