97- A Deadly Toast

Elijah leads us to an empty hall, before stopping, and turning towards me. "We should be able to speak freely here. Tell me what you know." He says. "Last night, you were right to question your mother's motives." I say. "Your mother, she asked to talk to Elena. Damon thinks your mother is planning something. He asked me if I knew anything." I explain quietly. He's silent at this, nodding, while being strangely calm. "As I thought. I knew her sudden acceptance of Klaus was strange.." he says, before sighing. "If mother is planning something, she will most likely want to speak with Elena alone. We must find Elena." He says. Sighing, I nod in acceptance, before allowing him to lead me away once again.

It doesn't take long to find her, and once we see her walking towards the main room, I stop, catching his attention. "Something wrong?" He asks. Shaking my head, I speak. "No, but, you should probably talk to her alone. Having one of Klaus' Hybrids lurking around you would probably scare her away." I say. Sighing, he nods. "Yes, you are probably right." He says, seeming to realize it too. "I'll head back, so you can go after her." I say with a reassuring smile. Although reluctant, he nods. "Apologies, I will make it up to you later." he says. Hearing this, I give a small smile, before I nod towards Elena's direction. "Just be careful. She betrayed you once before...who knows if she'll do it again.." I remind him. Nodding, he gives a small smile, before he chases after Elena. I watch his retreating form in silence, before sighing to myself again, and slowly make my way back towards the main hall.

Elijah's P.O.V.

"Elena." I call out, once close enough to her. Hearing me, she turns, and stops. "I understand my mother requested to see you?" I ask. "Yeah. Why? Is something wrong?" She asks. "Well, you see, her ability to forgive my brother after everything he's done to destroy this family strikes me as a little strange, to say the least." I explain. "Do you think it's an act?" She asks. "It has me asking questions I never thought I'd ask. Can I depend on you to tell me what she says?" I ask, making eye contact. Although hesitant, she sighs. "Of course. I'll find you later. Okay?" She asks. However, instead of waiting for an answer, she leaves me behind.

Third Person's P.O.V.

As Elena steps into the room with Esther and Finn, Finn speaks

As Elena steps into the room with Esther and Finn, Finn speaks. "You're alone. Wise choice." He says. Esther continues blowing on the herb in her hand, earning a skeptical look from Elena. "It's only Sage. I've spelled it so we can speak freely, without fear of being overheard. That'll be all, Finn. Thank you." Esther says, dismissing him. Once he closes the doors behind him, Esther speaks again. "You must have a million questions for me, Elena. Please, sit." She says, motioning for a couch. Once sitting down, Elena speaks. "How are you alive? Are you a ghost, or..?" Elena trails off. "Not exactly. When I died, the Witch Ayana preserved my body with a spell. She was a close friend of mine, an ancestor of your friend Bonnie." Esther explains. "So, that's why only Bonnie and her mother could open up the casket?" Elena asks. "They complete the Bennett bloodline. I drew power from them and their ancestors who were with me on the Other Side." Esther explains. "So you've been on the Other Side for a thousand years?" Elena asks. "Nature's way of punishing me for turning my family into Vampires. But, there is a way for me to undo the evil I created." Esther says. "You're gonna help us kill Klaus, aren't you?" Elena asks, jumping to conclusions. "One thing at a time, Elena. For now, I simply need your help.