40- Gone

"Rae, you didn't tell me your friend was coming over!" Mom says. "Oh, actually, I'm a friend of Mason's. I'm from Florida." Jules says, before looking Tyler up and down, probably sensing he's one of us. "You must be Tyler." She says, looking to me to confirm her suspicion. I avert my gaze, not wanting to get into that discussion while mom was here. "Yeah, nice to meet you." Tyler says, shaking her hand. "So, I know it's weird of me to just stop by, but...I've actually been trying to track down Mason.." Jules says, making my eyes widen, and my body freeze up immediately, panic setting in. "Oh, I'm sorry, there seems to be some confusion. Mason's back in Florida. He has been for a while now." Mom says. "See, uh, that's the thing, he's not." Jules says, making my nerves skyrocket. "Wait...what..?" Tyler asks, looking to me immediately. Sh*t, sh*t, SH*T..! "What do you mean..?" Tyler asks, concern creeping into his features.

Jules sighs and speaks. "I mea--" I cut her off immediately. "JULES..!" I say a bit too loud, startling all of them. Seeing I have all their attentions, I quickly look between Tyler and mom, before grabbing Jules' arm. "Come with me.." I mumble quietly, so only she would be able to hear, before looking back to Tyler. "Hey, uh, Ty, since Jules is here, I'm gonna have to pass on lunch today, okay?" I ask. "Ookay, what about..?" He trails off, finishing his sentence with a look. Nodding in understanding, I speak. "I'll be on time for the movie. I just...I haven't seen Jules in a while, so I figured we could catch up, y'know, just us girls." I say. I knew how incredibly sketchy I was being, but I couldn't just let her keep talking about Mason. Tyler's already mad enough as it is. If he finds out Mason's gone from her, instead of me...he'll definitely lose it.. I sigh. If he's to find out from anyone...it's better that I'm the one who has to tell him.. "Right...girl talk, uh, okay, so, meet up around...7ish..?" He asks me. I nod my head yes. "See you then, I promise." I say. With that, I quickly lead a very confused Jules away.

I lead her far into the woods, as a way to stall everything, and figure out how to say what had to be said, without immediately breaking apart. However, before long, Jules loses her patience, and stops in her tracks, refusing to play along anymore.  "Alright, that's far enough. What's going on Rae? Where's Mason? Why do I have 30 plus voice-mails from your brother, cussing out Mason for abandoning you two?" Jules asks. I sigh and clench my fists, hands and bottom lip trembling. I refuse to look at her, as I try to control the rapidly growing lump in my throat, my vision blurring rapidly. Jules seems to notice this, and gently walks towards me, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder. "Rae...what happened..?" She asks quietly. Hearing this, any shred of control I had, disappears completely, and before Jules can react, I turn on my heels, and throw myself into her. I hug her tightly, as the sob I had been holding in all this time, finally escapes my throat. "He's...he's gone.." I say, my voice cracking. "Gone..? What do you mean he's gone..? I know Mason. He'd never leave you." She says.

I shake my head. "He had no choice.." I say, shaking my head. "What..? Why not..? What happened..?" She asks. I sniffle and continue. "I...I was...right there, I...wanted to help him, but...he...he told me to leave.." I say. "Leave? What..? Why?" Jules asks. "Because...he...he made me promise...to protect Tyler.." I say. Hearing this, she furrows her brows, something clicking in her mind. "Rae...when you say gone, do you mean..?" She trails off, as I look up at her. Seeing my tear-filled expression, she seems to put two and two together. "Oh my god.." she says. I lower my head in sadness, right before she suddenly makes me look at her. "Tell me everything." She says seriously. I meet her gaze again, eyes widened. Everything..?

Damon's P.O.V.

"You know, you should really lock your door." I say, as I walk into Elena's house, seeing her sitting on the couch pouting. "Oh, come on, pouty. Least give me two points for ingenuity." I say with a smirk, motioning to the doors I had Bonnie cover in a barrier, to keep Elena from doing anything stupid, AGAIN. "Do you think this is funny?" She asks annoyed. "Yes, Elena. I find hilarity in the lengths that I have to go to, to repeatedly save your life." I say sarcastically. She scoffs in annoyance. "What did Stefan say about this?" She asks, thinking Stefan would take her side in this. "We had a good laugh." I say with a shrug, before sitting next to her on the couch. "And what did he say about Elijah still being alive?" She asks. "Yeah, that." I say, getting comfortable. "I didn't tell him." I say. "Why not?" She asks. "Well A: He can't do anything about it, and B: What I just said. Where's Bonnie?" I ask, seeing only Elena inside. "Thought she was meeting you." Jeremy says, walking into the living room. "No, she's on Moonstone duty, and I'm on Elena patrol." I say.

"Okay, but who's on the Lockwoods and the Full Moon?" He asks. I roll my eyes. "Vampire Barbie asked if she could handle it. I said 'Why not?' Afterall, if she screwed up, they'd bite her, and then I'd be rid of three of my problems." I say with a smirk. Hearing this, Elena widens her eyes immediately. "Hold on a second, tonight's a Full Moon?" She asks. Just then, my phone rings, making me stand up, as I grab my phone from my back pocket. "Yup, but you're too absorbed with all your suicidal tendencies to notice." I say with a smirk, before answering the phone. "What?" I ask into the phone. "Sheriff Forbes has officially declared Mason Lockwood a missing person." Alaric replies, making me stop in my tracks. "What? Why?" I ask. "Some girl from Florida showed up on the Lockwood's doorstep looking for Mason." He explains. "What? What girl?" I ask. "I don't know. But she sure got everyone in a tizzy. I just saw Caroline leave the Grill with a worried Tyler, but Rae's nowhere to be seen." He explains. "That's...not good. Are you still at the Grill?" I ask. "Yeah." He says. "I'm on my way." I say, hanging up, and walking back into the living room.

"Change of plans. Jeremy, you babysit." I say, which earns a satisfied grin and shrug from Jeremy, before he plops onto the couch, and props his head on Elena's lap. "Hey, you know, you should get out, enjoy the sun." I say to Elena, before acting like something dawned on me. "Oh wait, you can't.." I whisper with a smirk, earning a pillow being shot at me. Jeremy and I chuckle at her anger, which results in her pushing Jeremy off her, and onto the floor, before she glares daggers at my back.