15- The Search Continues..

A few moments later..

I sit on the couch in silence, as Mason tells Tyler how he triggered his curse. I've heard this story multiple times, but it never gets any easier to hear. "Wait. The guy died? You killed him?" Tyler asks. "He kept coming at me, got it in his head that I was sleeping with his girlfriend." Mason explains. "Well, were you?" Tyler asks. "No, no. I wouldn't do that, he was my friend. He was drunk and attacked me. It was self-defense." Mason explains. "And it triggered the curse.." Tyler says, before seeming to realize something, and looks to me. "Then that means...the same thing happened to you...6 years ago.." Tyler trails off. I sigh and nod my head. Different circumstances...same result.. "Yeah.." I say. "On every Full Moon, we lose control. If we don't sedate and chain ourselves down, there's a chance we'll kill anyone in our path. You have to be careful. An accident, a car wreck, or any other death at your hands, and you'll have a lifetime of this." Mason explains. "You don't want this Tyler, trust us." I say. Tyler nods his head and looks down.

Seeing this, I look to Mason. Meeting my gaze, he nods his head, before looking back to Tyler. "Alright, you got what you wanted. Now where's the Moonstone? Deals a deal. We answered your questions." Mason says. Hearing this, Tyler seems to snap out of his shock, and gets up. "Yeah, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's in here.." he says, before walking behind a chair, and pushing it out of the way. "Dad was very kooky about his hiding spots, but I've figured most of them out over the years.." he says, lifting up the rug beneath, and revealing a small hide away in the floorboard. After lifting the wooden slab over it, a metal safe is revealed. Mason hurries over, just as Tyler puts the combination in, and opens it. "It's all yours." Tyler says, as Mason rummages through the safe. "You gonna tell me what's so important about this rock or what?" Tyler asks, watching him. "I told you, it's just something I want. Sentimental value." Mason says. "Yeah, I'm not really buying that. Why do you really want it?" Tyler asks. He's smart, I'll give him that.

Seeing the safe didn't hold the stone, Mason looks up at him. "Do you know where it is or not?" Mason asks, ignoring his question. Tyler sighs and shakes his head. "No, I figured it'd be in here, man. Sorry, I'll keep looking." Tyler says. Mason sighs and stands. "It's fine...it's been a long night, let's just get some sleep first, and continue the search tomorrow." Mason says, standing. "I mean we can try, but tomorrow might be a bit difficult." Tyler says. "How so?" I ask. Tyler chuckles and looks to me. "I keep forgetting you haven't been back in a while. Tomorrow's the annual Historical Society Volunteer Day. Mom's hosting it. I would've told you guys sooner, but you were avoiding me all day." Tyler says. I sigh and massage my temples. "Why does this town have so many festivals and community events..? Honestly, it's like they never rest.." I say. Mason chuckles at this and pats my shoulder. "Welcome back to the deep south, Kid." Mason says. I groan in displeasure. "Well, you can tell the deep south to leave me out of their unnecessary amounts of festivities alright? Anyway, I'm going to bed. I slept like s*** earlier.." I say with a yawn. Mason chuckles and nods. "Yeah, I'm right there with you. Ty, you coming?" He asks. Tyler sighs and nods. "Yeah, might as well.." is all he says, before the three of us head to our rooms.

The next day..

Mason's P.O.V.

As Rae and I unload the truck, I notice the other Salvatore brother walking up to us. "Rae, think you can bring this box up to your mother?" I ask, looking to Rae. She looks to me, before noticing the Salvatore walking over. She takes the box and sighs. "Gladly." Is all she says, before walking away. Once I know she's out of earshot, I look to the Salvatore. "Stefan, right? The Other Salvatore." I say. Stefan nods and gives an awkward smile. "The nice one. The one offering an apology." He says. "That so?" I ask, not buying it. He nods to me. "Not interested." I say. Stefan sighs, as if he expected this. "Look, my brother acted impulsively." He says. "You think?" I ask sarcastically. Bit of an understatement if you ask me.. I think to myself, as the place Damon had stabbed me throbs with ghost pain. Although the wound had already healed, it still didn't change the fact that Damon stabbed me. "If you and Damon keep at each other's throats, somebody innocent is gonna get hurt, and I don't want that. You have family here, so I can't imagine you'd want that either. So, what do you say we just, quit the whole Alpha-Male fighting thing, and call a truce?" Stefan asks. Hearing these words, I can't help but scoff.

"You know, I made that same offer to your brother? He turned it down, with a knife no less

"You know, I made that same offer to your brother? He turned it down, with a knife no less." I say. "He made a mistake. I'm here to make sure that neither of you make another one." Stefan says. Alright, I've heard enough. "Tell your brother to watch his back." Is all I say, before grabbing another box, and attempting to walk away. However, Stefan grabs my arm, turning me towards him once again. I glare at him, even after he releases me. "Well, I'm guessing that he only has to worry about that during a Full Moon. Otherwise, you're not as strong. Am I right? Otherwise, you would've killed Damon by now." He says. Yeah, you'd like to believe that wouldn't you..? I stay silent. "Think about it. Damon and I have been around for over a century. You've only been around for a few decades, and your neice even less. I think in the end, you two are the ones who need to watch their backs. So, what do you say?" Stefan asks. Although I'm sure I could take them, I don't want to risk Rae's safety. This brother seems to be more reasonable, maybe he's not as bad. Sighing, I meet his gaze. "If he comes at us-" Stefan cuts me off. "He won't." Stefan says confidently, holding out his hand for me to shake. After a few moments of hesitation, I shake his hand. Seeing this, he nods, and I take my leave. He might believe Damon won't try anything, but that doesn't mean I share the same faith in Damon. I know Damon's type. He won't stop until he wins. It won't be long before he tries again. I need to keep Rae and Tyler out of this, no matter what.

Stefan's P.O.V.

As I watch Mason go, I hear someone walk up behind me. "What are you doing?" Damon asks. I sigh. "Negotiating peace on your behalf." I say. "But I don't want peace." Damon says, with a slight whine. "Well, consider it opposite day." I say. Damon sighs and walks in front of me, grabbing my shoulders. "Stefan, please tell me you don't seriously think a handshake just solved our problem." He says. I sigh in annoyance. "No, actually, I think that the first chance Mason Lockwood gets, he's gonna drive a stake through your heart, and then through mine. Maybe even while his niece watches. All because You took it upon yourself to try to kill him. So thank you, because we don't already have enough problems to deal with." I say sarcastically, patting the side of his neck, before walking away.