22- Tragedy

Raelyn's P.O.V.

As Jenna and I walk out of the store, and head down the street, I stop in my tracks, as a strong feeling, rises in my mind. "Hey, you okay?" She asks confused, turning towards me. This feeling.. I lightly touch my chest, in an attempt to ease my nerves, as I look back towards the direction of the house, but not knowing why. "Raelyn?" Jenna speaks, placing a hand on my shoulder, and snapping me out of it. "Yeah?" I ask, looking to her. "Everything alright?" She asks. "Uh.." I trail off, looking back to the house's direction again. Why do I..? I shake out of my thoughts. "...yeah, yeah. Everything's fine. I just.." I trail off again, the feeling growing stronger. "Actually, do you...think you can take care of things here..? I forgot to check on something back at the house.." I say. Jenna raises a brow, but nods her head. "Yeah, sure. No worries, go ahead." She says. Hearing this, I give her a thankful smile, before running back towards the house.

30 minutes later..

Opening the bedroom door quickly, I run inside, and look around, still breathing heavily from sprinting back to the house. "Uncle Mason, you here?" I call out loudly, as I look around his room. No one answers. He should've been back by now.. Seeing he wasn't inside, I leave the room, and hurry down the stairs. "Uncle Mason!" I call out again. Again, no one answers. More uneasiness grows in my chest. Just as I'm about to call him, footsteps approach, catching my attention. "Hey, back already? Mason was looking for you." Tyler says, coming around the corner. Hearing this, I speak. "He was? How long ago?" I ask worried. Tyler shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know, at least a half an hour ago." He says. Hearing this, I let out a sigh of relief. He's okay...thank god.. "Oh good, did he say where he was going?" I ask, so I can meet up with him. Probably something to do with the Moonstone then.. Tyler thinks about this. "Told him you went to town, last I saw him, he was heading for the truck. Didn't seem like anything was wrong though, so don't worry too much. I'm sure he'll be back in a bit." He says. Hearing this, I nod, and smile. "Thanks Ty." I say. He nods. "No problem, see ya later." He says, before walking away.

Once he's gone, I head outside, but still cannot shake the feeling of uneasiness in my chest. I know he said not to worry, but.. I sigh, pull out my phone, and dial Mason's number. However, as I do, the sound of a phone going off, has me looking around. As I did, I notice a phone laying on the ground, right in front of an open truck, full of party decorations and furniture. Worry quickly rises, the more I listen to it ring. After battling with myself, I slowly lower my hand from my ear, before slowly walking towards the phone. As I got closer, I notice a few drops of blood on the ground. More worry surfaces in my chest. The moment I'm close enough to read the caller ID on the phone, I stop in my tracks, eyes widening. On the phone screen, was my name.

After a few moments, I snap myself out of it, and force myself to move. I snatch up Uncle Mason's phone and look around. As I do, I notice a few skid marks from tires, leading to the right. It was clear someone had left in a hurry. Those marks don't lead into town...those lead to..! Realizing the direction they were heading towards, dread fills my chest, and for a few moments, I forget to breath, as the reality of this moment, comes crashing down around me. I knew all too well, where those skid marks lead, and what that meant. Damn them..! With that thought, I launch myself forward, sprinting into the trees.

30 minutes later..

I quietly creep outside the Salvatore House, peering through the windows, as I searched

I quietly creep outside the Salvatore House, peering through the windows, as I searched. Finally, after turning another corner, I see Uncle Mason alone, chained to a wooden chair, and bleeding from wounds that refused to heal. My eyes widen and I cover my mouth, trembling, as I walk over to the window.

 My eyes widen and I cover my mouth, trembling, as I walk over to the window

"Uncle Mason.." I breath out. He seems to hear this, and weakly turns his head towards the window. "Rae...you're alright.." he says relieved, his voice strained. I place my trembling hands against the glass, tears filling my eyes, as I see the full extent of his injuries. "Oh my god.." I say in terror, covering my mouth. "Just...just hold on...I'm gonna get you out of th--" he cuts me off. "No." He says strictly, making my eyes widen. "What..? But, Uncle Mason..!" I say in protest. "I said no, Rae." He says strictly. I flinch. But...if...I don't get him out of there.. I don't finish that thought, it was too painful.

 I don't finish that thought, it was too painful

"Rae...listen to me...there's not much time.." he says, as he tries to push away the pain he was feeling. I nod my head desperately. "Of...of course, I'll listen to whatever you want to say! Just...please, just let me help you..!" I say, my vision blurring, as a knot forms in my throat. I hear a pained laugh. "You and I...both know...there's no saving me now.." he says weakly. Hearing this, I shake my head no repeatedly. "No, no! Don't say that! There...there has to be a way to save you..! I just...I just need a little ti-" he cuts me off. "Rae, I need you...to stop talking...and listen to me.." He says strictly. I shut up immediately at his tone. Sighing in relief, he gives me a thankful smile. "You need to...get out of here.." he says, making my eyes widen. "What..?" I ask. "Get back...to your brother...stay there...keep him safe.." he says. I stagger back, shaking my head no, repeatedly. "I'm sorry...to have to...make you do this but...we don't...have any other choice.." he says.

"Damon's going to...be back any minute...with more Wolfsbane...it's an herb of some sort...it's toxic to us...you can't be here...when he gets back.." he says, making my eyes widen. Toxic..? Wolfsbane..? Why haven't we heard of this?! Anger boils in my chest, as all his unhealing wounds finally make sense. If...that really is Toxic to us then...damn them..! "You...need to leave Rae...get out of here..! Once I'm gone...he'll come for you too...you need to be careful from now on...don't go anywhere alone...do you understand..?" He asks. "But..!" I trail off. "You'll do as I say, Rae..! Now, do you...understand me..?" He orders strictly, leaving me no room to argue. Tears flow down my face, as I close my eyes, and lower my head in sadness. There's really...nothing I can do to help him..? I lock my jaw, gritting my teeth. Dammit..! I squeeze my hands into fists, my nails digging into my palms. "I...I'll try.." I say, trailing off. "Promise me...you'll keep...you and your brother safe.." He says. I sniffle and nod. "I...I promise.." I say, my voice breaking. Hearing this, he sighs in relief. "Thank you, Rae...now go.." he orders. Hearing this, I hesitate for only a few more seconds, before forcing myself to turn, and run away.

Mason's P.O.V.

Listening to her retreating footsteps, a single tear falls down my cheek. I'm sorry Kiddo...all I can do...is hope you'll stay safe.. With that final thought, I turn back, just as Damon returns. "You know, I look at you, and see myself. Granted, what I see, is a less dashing, less intelligent version, but still." He says, leaning down, to be on my level. "Just kill me...and get it over with...I'm done talking to you.." I say, refusing to show him any fear. Damon smirks in amusement, shrugging. "Gladly, oh, and don't worry, I'll give your regards to your niece.." is the last thing he says, before pain erupts in my chest. Soon, it all fades away into nothingness.