23- Keeping The Promise..

Raelyn's P.O.V.

After a while of running, I trip over an upturned root, slamming to the ground. For a while, I lay there, sobbing to myself. He's...gone...Uncle Mason's.. I clench my fists. Those damn leeches..! As I think that, Uncle Mason's words repeat in my head. 'Promise me...you'll keep...you and your brother safe..' These words, echo over and over in my head. Tyler.. I slowly raise myself up to my hands and knees, tears falling onto the ground below me. I need...to get to Tyler...but...how do I..? What do I..? He can't know..! If he knows, he might do something stupid.. I rack my brain for a solution, on what to do about this. Should I...say he left for a while..? I shake my head immediately. No, no...not like that. We promised him, that we'd break the curse...to tell him that Mason just up and left...he'd definitely be angry with him...I don't want Uncle Mason to be hated...especially not now.. I raise myself, with a sigh, dusting myself off, before wiping away my tears. I can't stay here, Damon might already be looking for me. I have to get back to Tyler and keep him safe.. After calming myself down enough to feel comfortable going back, I head towards the house.

 After calming myself down enough to feel comfortable going back, I head towards the house

I slowly open the front door, peering inside. Once I'm sure the coast is clear, I step inside, and close the door. But as I am about to head to the stairs, footsteps catch my attention. "What the hell are you doing back? Thought you'd leave with Mason." Tyler's voice was angry, which confuses me. "What..?" I ask confused, as I turn towards him. Tyler scoffs in annoyance. "What's wrong? Mason decide you weren't worth the trouble to bring you to Florida with him? That must suck." He says, glaring towards me. I flinch at the way he's speaking about Mason. Florida..? "Ty...what are you talking about..?" I ask. Tyler laughs in annoyance, shaking his head. "Playing dumb? Seriously..?" He asks. I furrow my brows, shaking my head. "No Ty, I really have no idea what you're talking about. What do you mean Florida?" I ask, completely confused. He clenches his hands into fists. "I'm talking about the text! That bastard said there was some big opportunity in Florida, that he just had to take. The jack*** didn't even have the balls to say goodbye!" Tyler snaps, making me flinch. The text..? Big opportunity..? I think about this for a bit, before I check my pockets, finding Mason's phone missing. He said Mason texted that, which means I must've dropped it somewhere around the Salvatore house. Damon must've found it, and texted them to cover his tracks.. I look back to Tyler. I can't tell him what really happened to Mason...he's still young, I have no doubt that he'll do something stupid.. I clench my fists. No choice...for his safety...I'll just have to go with what the text said..

"Oh...that text.." I say, trailing off. Hearing this, anger radiates off him. "So, you knew.." he says, trailing off in anger. Pain erupts in my chest, at his hateful stare, but I hide it. "Yeah...that's why he was...looking for me earlier.." I say, averting my gaze, unable to look at him. He scoffs and shakes his head. "Wow. So much for breaking the curse then, huh? Nice. Real nice." Is all he says, hitting me hard with his shoulder, as he pushes past me, and stomps off. "Bastards." He mumbles. Hearing this, my fists clench. I understand how he must feel right now but...I won't just sit here, and let him talk about Mason like this.. With that thought, I narrow my eyes, and turn on my heels. "You can be mad at me all you want, but don't you DARE talk about him like that..! Mason wa--, is a good man..! He cared-, cares about us so much, that he put himself at risk countless times!" I snap at him, making him stop. "Whatever.." is all he says, before continuing to walk away. Once he's no longer within view, my vision blurs. I close my eyes, allowing the tears to fall down my cheeks, while I lower my head in sadness. My bottom lip trembles, as I silently cry to myself, in the darkness of the hall.

For a while, everything is quiet, but after a few more moments, my phone rings, disturbing the silence around me

For a while, everything is quiet, but after a few more moments, my phone rings, disturbing the silence around me. Dread fills my chest immediately. There's only two people who know my number.. With this thought, I worriedly pull out my phone. Seeing the caller ID, my eyes narrow in anger. I give the hall a once over, before narrowing my eyes further, and stepping out onto the front porch. Once the door is closed, I answer the phone. "What the hell do you want..?" I ask angrily, into the phone. Katherine laughs quietly. "Aww, now is that anyway to greet a friend..?" Katherine says mockingly. I clench my free hand into a fist, as I lock my jaw. "You are no friend of mine. Now why don't you skip the bulls***, and tell me what you want." I say, in no mood to deal with her. She laughs again. "And here I was, calling, because I was worried Damon might kill you too.." she says. I narrow my eyes in anger. "Save it leech, you and I both know that's got nothing to do with why you're calling." I snap at her. She sighs dramatically. "Alright, fine. Then I'll cut to the chase. Where's the Moonstone?" She asks. I shake my head in disappointment. I knew it.

"Tell me something Kat, was any of it real for you..?" I ask. "What..?" She asks annoyed that I ignored her question. "Because it was real for Mason. He loved you so much, and he died for it." I say. She sighs in annoyance. "Your point..?" She asks coldly. I scoff, smiling ruefully. "My point; Katherine; is why the f*** would I tell you a goddamn thing, when you clearly don't give a damn about what happens to us in the process?" I ask. She's silent, most likely fuming with rage. "If you want the Moonstone so bad, find it yourself. As of now, the Lockwoods are through being pawns. Goodbye, Katherine." Is all I say, before hanging up, and crushing my phone within my grasp, for good measure. The pieces fall to the ground at my feet. "B****." Is the last thing I say, before discarding the remains of the phone pieces in my hand, and walk back into the house.