CHAPTER 56

I stood there at the door, not daring to walk inside as I stared at Umbridge. But then, as McGonagall appeared behind me and cleared her throat, I moved along and she marched into the room without giving the slightest attention to Umbridge.

"That will do," said McGonagall and silence fell immediately. "Mr. Finnigan, kindly come here and hand back the homework Miss Brown, please take this box of mice and hand one to each student -

"Hem, hem," said Umbridge, but Professor McGonagall ignored her.

Seamus handed back my essay, and I was glad to see that I had passed with an acceptable mark. Maybe I couldn't do any practical work, but I still found magical books highly fascinating; or at least, a million times better that math and physics.

"Right then, everyone, listen closely- Dean Thomas, if you do that to the mouse again I shall put you in detention — most of you have now successfully vanished your snails and even those who were left with a certain amount of shell have the gist of the spell. Today we shall be —"

"Hem, hem," Umbridge coughed again.

"Yes?" said Professor McGonagall sternly, turning round.

"I was just wondering, Professor, whether you received my note telling you of the date and time of your inspec—"

"Obviously I received it, or I would have asked you what you are doing in my classroom," said Professor McGonagall, turning her back firmly on Umbridge.

A few students exchanged looks of glee and so McGonagall went on,

"As I was saying, today we shall be practicing the altogether more difficult vanishment of mice. Now, the Vanishing Spell -"

"Hem, hem."

"I wonder," said Professor McGonagall in cold fury, turning on Professor Umbridge, "how you expect to gain an idea of my usual teaching methods if you continue to interrupt me? You see, I do not generally permit people to talk when I am talking."

Umbridge looked as though she had just been slapped in the face. She did not speak, but straightened the parchment on her clipboard and began scribbling furiously.

And so, as I looked up at McGonagall with a grin, all I could think about at that moment was how much I actually loved that woman.

But my smile faded as Professor McGonagall asked us to take out our wands and try the vanishing spell on the mice.

By that point of the year, all the students were sure that I was a stupid and talentless girl when it came to using a wand, but at least I made up for it in Potions.

I shakily took out the  fake wand that Dumbledore had given me and pretended to give it a way and say the spell; but nothing happened.

After a few minutes, McGonagall sent me to fetch a few papers for her from her office, but I came to wish that she hadn't.

Because I couldn't stay out of class forever and had to eventually return and get back to practicing.

Although from the moment I sat back down, Umbridge narrowed her eyes at me from the dark corner where she stood, watching me warily.

---------------------

I was again at the library studying the history of magic. Fred insisted me o stay wth me again but I told him about my study and he didn't dragged it anymore.

I was writing and reading the chapter with hatred and bored. But I had to do it.

After studying for an hour I started to think about the events coming soon as I stared out of the window.

Dumbledore army is going to come soon and I haven't even asked anyone about it.

What will I tell them when they will come to invite me?

Maybe excuses are the only way.

But they will get suspicious.

Dan. Yes!

I rubbed the pendant and waited and he was here.

"Now what?" He asked with a tired face.

I grinned.