CHAPTER-42

"You are my confidante, my helpmate, my friend. My lover. You are everything the word wife means to me. In my heart, we are wed. In my soul, you are mine."

Mature content

PRITHVI

What was the worst- suffering a terrible headache or plastering a fake smile for hours?

The announcement of a power transfer to my name suddenly brought many shifts. Some were tolerable and some were straightaway torture. As an heir of Sooryavanshi, I was supposed to find these changes as normal.

I didn't expect 'changes' to be other names for continuous guests in our home. I had the privilege of doing meet and greet sessions with the people or my extended family twice a year at the most. As they mostly resided in Jaipur. I couldn't thank God enough for this mercy.

But that relief was nowhere with the declaration of the official Sooryavanshi heir. Only if I had the slightest clue, I had thought ten times before signing the papers.

The annoying sound of laughter and gossip was forced on my ears. Some of my chachis and buas visited more like barged in the name of surprise. I should have taken the risk of jumping out of the window in my room.

They were having tea and snacks for hours now. Gayu spent a few minutes and was excused to rest. I didn't spare her a glance. It was incredulous how no one cared about me as the child out of wedlock and I was simply happy that Sooryavanshi lineage would be carried forward. The privilege wouldn't have been for a girl child. My reputation was intact and unquestionable due to my sperm donor capability.

The more I thought of these biased norms the more I hated engaging these people. They also wanted to meet my South Indian bride. Everyone in our relatives addressed Jyothika with that tag. I couldn't hate everything more.

Kitna khate hai kuch mehman dusron ke ghar meh.

{How much can the guests eat in another's homes?}

I recognized the tiny bells of the familiar anklets. My back straightens immediately for no reason. I maintained an impassive expression and stared at the stupidly pricey carpet. I'm going to throw it as soon as the grinding sounds in my head would stop.

"Arey sirf do din ke liye kyun? Kuch aur din ruk jaate aap sab," Dadi Ji was just being polite.

{Why for only two days? You guys could have stayed more}

Jaya Dadi...she was something to me. Bua dadi eased my stress and asked me to just put Dadi after her name. I can remember five years of financial reports of my company but not this complicated Sooryvanshi family tree. She shared a delighted look with her daughter-in-law. Masking with a foxy smile, she denies, "Nahi, Jiji. Hum toh bas nayi bahu aur Prithvi se milne aa gaye. Aur sab Reema ki tarah toh nahi hote. Jo kahin bhi mahino pade rahe,"

{No sister, We have come only to meet Prithvi and his new daughter-in-law. And we can't be like Reema who stays here for months}

Bua Dadi seemed to expect her taunt. The only guest whom I considered was my family member. She smiles way too sweetly, "Kya kare Jaya, mai un logon ki tarah nahi hoon jo apno ka saath unke bure waqt meh chod de aur jab apna matlab ho toh muh utkar kar chale aaye,"

{What can I do, Jaya? I'm unlike people who support their families only to seek their selfish benefits}

I have pressed my palm to hide my fits of laughter. I live for this back-and-forth.

Jyothika smartly breaks their argument and offers them tea, "Choti Dadi Ji, Chachi Ji, lijiye na,"

{Grandmother and Aunty, please have some}