CHAPTER-28

"Speak to me: I will spend my lifetime trying to understand you."

JYOTHIKA

"Where is my laptop charger, Jaana!"

I almost choke on the orange juice I was having. To my wonderful luck, I wasn't the only audience- Bua dadi, Dadi ji, Ammu, and Tripathi aunty were present having their breakfast at the dining table. Except for Aunty, everyone was having a blast throwing teasing looks in my direction.

"Where are you, Jaana? Come and help me please, I'm already running late, Jaana!"

Oh, goddess! I attempt to hide my face by brushing my hair in odd directions. Anyhow, my act is not bought by teasing ladies.

"Haan jaa-na, warna hamara bacha tujhe na dekh kar ghus hi ho Jana. Tu Jaa-na,"

{Yes, you need to go quickly otherwise our son will get angry}

Bua dadi and Ammu take turns completing the whole sentence. My face must be red like the tomato ketchup on their plates as they cackle. Even Dadiji is chuckling along with them. I toyed with the fork planning in my mind if I could poke it in his ribs for making me a laughing stock.

Tripathi Aunty leans to my side, "Ask your husband to be mindful of elders. Even after living for years in a sophisticated family couldn't make him part of our standards. And one shameless member is enough in the family,"

I point the fork in her direction with a sweet smile, "You're so humble to have self-recognition, Aunty,"

I can ignore her annoying comments about me but never about my Raj. No one could get away with speaking wrong or having ill intentions with him.

Her blush cheeks get red with anger. She grits, "Be careful you villager or I'll-

"What is the matter?" Dadi ji asks, studying the tension between us.

Nothing could escape her sharp eyes. Well, almost.

"Nothing, Mummy," Aunty masks her expression with a false smile. As much as she pats my hand to back up her act. "I was just asking Jyothi to pass the plate of sandwiches,"

Bring it on then step mother in law. I pretend to be surprised, "I'm so sorry, Aunty! You didn't call me meethi churi or villager so I thought you were asking someone else,"

With fake nervousness, I place the plate in front of her. She looks as if pushed in front of a ghost with her saucer eyes. Dadi Ji nearly gives that impression. Even I feel a little bad for Aunty. Ammu gives me an impressed look. She'd know her disciple thoroughly.

"What nonsense! You dare to address our daughter-in-law with such disgraceful names. Where are your manners, Tripathi?" Dadi ji lasers her entire focus on Aunty to reprimand.

Bua dadi tries to dissolve the situation, and Ammu acts to be supportive, I'm sure inside she was enjoying Aunty getting scolded.

I took the opportunity to escape everyone's attention.

With my cheeks still on fire both from annoyance and shyness, I stomped all the way upstairs. It's been three days, and Prithvi was using the endearment way too much. At first, it was sweet but now after hearing it nearly a hundred times, it's becoming irritating.

Upon asking his reason, he said I complained about it to him for not using the endearment often. I don't even remember except for strangling his sister's neck, me crying like a baby, and a heated make-out session. My god! We kissed. I took a second to squeal then composed with a pissed-off look to enter our room.