CHAPTER-7 {PART-2}

"True love doesn't need proof.

The eyes told what heart felt."

JYOTHIKA

"You don't want to get married to Prithvi?"

It was only him I want to get married to.

My heart whispers, but I can't find the courage to work it out. She sighs lowly at my lack of response. I get startled when she jumps in her seat, clapping way more enthusiastically for her age. Shekhar ettan loses to Prithvi.

"Ammamma, what do you think you're doing?"

Satya ettan annoyingly narrows his eyes which dissolve in less than two seconds as Ammumma gives her classic single stare. It was more than enough to keep people in place. She would rarely have to use words and that would only end up in scornful consequences.

Satisfied with ettan's respectfully lowering his gaze, her wide smile restores. "Enjoying a lion fighting in open ground," she hums, nudging my attention to the ground. "My Simba,"

Despite the situation, a small smile etches my lips at her comparison. I don't know if she was nicknaming him due to her favorite anime movie or if it was truly what she mean it.

I wince at the sight of Shekhar ettan making his way up with painful hisses along with Shay ettan. Two down, one more. Respectfully both of their wives attend them.

Barely a few feet away, the rest of the family was in the designated area to give a clear view of the ground from a 180-degree angle like a sky box of the modern stadiums. Now I understood the use of this barren area, it was surely used for watching these wrestling matches in the past.

All these revelations justify my doubt-how I lived like an outsider, unaware of family traditions under one roof.

"Look at your father and brothers' sullen faces, ah, one of my favorite days. Finally, a true man who crumbled their egos. He will be the pride of this family in a real sense. Not like hypocrites here!" Ammumma deliberately shouts getting Appa's attention as well.

My youngest elder brother clenched his jaw to her taunts before stomping his way down to continue the last round of the challenge.

I get up from my crouched position and walk closer, wrapping my fingers around the marble ledge of the railing. Amidst the cheerful yelling, I solemnly gazed at the man who was going through the tough feet, sweating profusely, surely bruised up his body in many places but the steadiness of his moves didn't falter even for a second.

With the rhythmic tapping sound of her walking stick, Ammumma steps in next to me.

"Why do you think I fought with your father and brothers tooth and nail to keep you away from these worn-out mentalities of your family."

I remain silent as I was aware of the context of her talk and I still disappointed her.

"Still you managed to let their downgraded decisions manipulate your conscience, and break your determination. I wanted you to find purpose in your life." I feel ashamed for disappointing the only family who stood with me through everything. "Now, look at the consequences. I said you this before a woman's decision holds the immense power to make or break a household. This was why I stressed from time to time the women of every family should build their sense of judgment and be strong enough to stand up to it.

"I couldn't back then, hence I failed my daughter," One of her hands clasps mine, and I tighten my grip feeling her remorseful tone. "Resulting in your mother's cowardice when she has to raise her voice. I never wanted to repeat the history with you. I wanted my granddaughter to have a different, progressive environment," she caresses my head.