CHAPTER-34

Something greater than pleasure―gestures of adoration. A gentle caress on the cheek, an attentive smile, a soft kiss while swept away in a slow dance, the whispered words 'You're beautiful' are cherished tokens of love."

MATURE CONTENT

JYOTHIKA

"Jyothika,"

I closed my eyes exhaling a nervous breath.

The entire preparations along with my anxious mental pep talk ceased the second I heard his voice. Opening my eyes, I glance around at the baby-blue candles lit across the room. A mild aroma of roses with a hint of vanilla wafted into the quiet air.

The four-poster bed with teal blankets, a bunch of throw pillows in the corner, and a gentle rustle of chiffon curtains hung from open windows.

Moonlight was a subtle glow that clasped hands with the bright glow of candles filtering a warm, sensuous ambiance. Hearing his ascending footsteps, I clutched the pallu of my saree. Quickly turning around, I give once over to my look in the mirror- dressed in the same saree from our wedding day, long choker gold jhumkas combined with only light kajal, a single stroke of eyeliner, and a light pink lip tint.

My eyes glisten with happiness and remnants of ache, 'We have come so far.' Would he feel the same?

My breath hitched as the door was unlocked, and closed silently without much noise. 'It's fine. It's Prithivi, my Raj.'

The sweet reminder soothes my hyperventilated heartbeat. Nervously, I turn and slowly lift my gaze to him. He was observing every corner with a straight face. And was barefoot. Something about his legs with the display of sinewy veins was tempting. Maybe I'm too much into him.

Finally, his wandering gaze rested on mine. Taking a deliberate, slow once over. C'mon, speak something! He'd get the hint, right? I mean everything is obvious.

To my astonishment, he walks past me towards the window and slides them open. A frown deepens on my face as my shoulders slack due to his lack of acknowledgment. Do I look disinterested to him? Maybe the same saree brought the memories of how he was treated by my family, mainly of my rejection. I tugged my lips, as I felt like crying now.

I assumed he'd overlook those memories reading the intention that I want to make new memories with him. Where our love holds priority over everything.

"What is the meaning of this?"

I shiver at his gruff voice. Twirling in his direction, I steadily approach him. Standing beside him, I let the gentle breeze of night wash over me. A few minutes later, I decided to be more verbal about my feelings toward him. I want him to hear, to know how deeply I cherish him. More than anything in this world.

"Everyone needs at least one relationship with whom they can trust themselves without feeling judged. For me, it's you. And I was not even waiting for you," I chuckled humorlessly. "But my luck, you walked into my life, silently into my heart, comforted the years of longing, and showered affection when I didn't even ask for it."

Glancing to his side, I found him already looking at me. His eyes filled with love to the brim though uncertainty lingered between them. An easy smile stretched my lips reciprocating a similar one on his lips. Why do I even need to think twice before expressing myself in front of him? On the contrary, he was the only person in this entire world who'd never leave my side no matter what. Even when forced to leave back then, he didn't.

"If someone asks what is love, I wouldn't know how to answer. Honestly, I don't know. It's in the poetries or these shooting stars or promises- I don't know. The only thing I know is, my heart beats for you. You breathe hope, dreams, life, and endless promises into my existence," I reach for his hand and look into his eyes with all of my love. "Mai toh sab kuch tumse haare gayi phir bhi lagta hai sab kuch jeet liya. Pyar kya hai bhi nahi jaanti thi phir bhi tumse beintenha kar baiti,"