CHAPTER-29

"Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own."

JYOTHIKA

Throwing everything in my hand I run out of the room.

Rushing near the stairs, I find Dadi Ji tumbling down the stairs. Yelling for help, I hastily skip down to save her fall. She flings her hands in panic, I catch her in time, and with the other hand, I grasp the banister from behind.

Her leg was twisted at an odd angle even if she was saved from the serious fall.

Still, out of breath and with heart in my throat I balance us on the wide berth of the stairs with the help of maids.

"Call the doctor immediately!" I randomly tell someone.

Tripathi Aunty and Bua dadi reach upstairs screaming anxiously and aid Dadi Ji. I checked for any serious injuries but she was conscious and wincing whenever tried to move her left leg. Pushing my hair back, I glance around to detect the reason for her accident. I don't see anything odd but Gayu's maid at a distance looked panicked. Before I could ask her she walked away.

Why did she look so scared?  I let go of the thought and gently try to lift Dadi Ji. With the help of two male staff, we manage to carry her to her room.

Hours later, Doctor assured us her leg was sprained and no serious injuries were incurred after performing a few tests. Dadi Ji would be fine with medication and bed rest in a couple of weeks.

Leaning across the wall, I was getting worried for Prithvi.

Hearing the distressed news, he rushed into a distorted state and wasn't leaving Dadi Ji's side for even one second. Except for attending a few calls, he hasn't spoken a word with anyone.

I don't try to force him out of the bubble he has built around himself. Even if I can't detect it clearly, traces of his memories had clouded his vision.

He was not there when his mother took her last breath. Even if he doesn't say it loud, it could be heard in his voice whenever he mentioned the unfateful incident. He regrets and blames himself for not being with her even now years later. Maybe he would regret it forever. Like a loud cry but without voice, his unsettled emotions clutch his throat.

I sighed shakily as his unspeakable ache resonated in my heart.

It was past midnight, the dim lamp lights streaming through the darkness. Even if I knew in front of me there were adult Prithvi and Dadi Ji- assured to be recovered soon- all I can see is a small child waiting desperately for his mother figure to recover quickly. And crush the fears that his innocent heart fighting hard not to let them win over his hope.

Everyone has visited and checked upon Dadi Ji. Prithvi stood still in the corner observing Dadi Ji and jumping into action if she so much as frowned or winced.

No matter how much I wanted to interfere or break his silence, I didn't act in the way I thought was right. I acted in the way he expected from me. Allowing him space but never out of reach. I can't allow him to be stuck in that memory.

I walked up to him and gently placed my hand on the back of his head. He hums quietly and does not get startled like I anticipated him to. He was sure that I was always around him.

"Freshen up and change your clothes. I'll bring your dinner," I denied all his protests. "You don't want to fall sick and be unfit to take care of Dadi Ji,"

He sighs as if finally realizing he was tired. With a peck to his head, I leave him to complete his routine and reach the kitchen to prepare his meal. I reheated everything, placing three chapatis when Srinivas Uncle stepped in. This was awkward.