PROLOGUE

"The future for me is already a thing of the past. - 

You were my first love and you will be my last"

PRITHVI

Betrayal- is a simple word that holds the power to destroy anything in existence.

If you're lucky, it could give you the option to be left out. After all, it depends on the person, and how they'd let it affect them. What could be said, if it comes from the people, you trusted, cared and loved the most in this world? Simple result. It'd be relentless, succumbing to dust, and leaving behind a scar that could never be forgotten. Forgiven.

The irony is I'm way more familiar with this emotion than anything else in my life.

Her slow sniffles from beside me disrupt my thoughts. If it were a normal occasion, I'd have torn down the reason or even the person responsible for her tears. I'd have pulled her onto my lap, guiding her face in the crook of my neck in the way I was sure she'd relax every time in these situations. In my arms.

Not at this moment. I forced my head to turn, eyes still closed, tightening my arms against my chest. So they wouldn't reach for her. My heart twinges in pain imagining the continuous trail of her tears then I remember the incidents from a few hours before. The mere pain transforms into a stab remembering the way she abandoned me, my love.

For what, pride? Pride of her family. They were important, not the person who'd spent eleven years with her through thick and thin, who loved her unconditionally. I never expected anything from her, seeing her from far away was enough. Her single laugh to surpass the entire day was enough. Many times I'd pick playful banter to get extra minutes to hear her voice and feel her presence for a few more minutes was enough.

I never asked for anything more than she was comfortable giving. It was fine, whatever we had. Then God or fate whatever it was decided to grace me with something I was dreaming of for years. She confessed her love.

"Why does it take so long for you to understand?"

she exhales a deep breath, I try my eyes not to wander down her delectable body or to think of how closely she was standing near me so that I could inhale her rainforest mist, which she uses daily.

I stand still against my bullet, my brows furrow finding her nervous about something she was going on and on except for the straightforward answer. We were supposed to attend Meera's graduation ceremony but her husband, my idiotic best friend ditched the function. I swear he was going to get ass-whooping one of these days for keeping secrets from me. I hate my people hiding anything from me. I've had a lot of experiences, I'm surviving its consequences to date.

The bitch he was, suffered a lot, we both did in our lives. After a long time, he got his family, and selfless love for his girl- I won't let him suffer any longer because of his stubbornness.

For that matter, I know damn well to crave such love in this cruel world. Glancing at the girl in front of me, the lingering ache rushed in persistent force. I was her best friend, I wanted her to be my soulmate in every sense of the word. Something I am steadily giving up hope of. I might never be her-

"I love you,"

She merely whispers looking into my eyes hesitantly and I stop breathing. My eyes don't blink fearing this moment would evaporate. I could see traces of fear in her eyes towards my silence. Even if my mind is screaming to do something, my heart, and my senses are locked. Somehow I forced the question out so I wouldn't read wrong through her lines.