CHAPTER-11

"Your memory feels like home to me.

So whenever my mind wanders, it always finds its way back to you."

PRITHVI

I always believed my life wasn't going to be easy.

This was not an overnight conclusion or some kind of repulsion from life. This was my fact. I never had anything easy in life, so I have stopped expecting anything to be easy. I was not going to bitch about it. My mother taught me to be head-on in whatever situations you were thrown into.

That is how I survived the emotional imbalance and the physical abuse back in orphanages or in my school life or with the Soorvanshi family. This was how my life works- either fight or get beaten. I take pride in never choosing the latter option. Instead of comparing the difficulties of my life with others living the best, I create my way through these difficulties. And from my experience, I have learned no one has perfect life at least not in every department.

The bullies in the orphanage used to corner me and Arjun often because they wanted to gain control in some way or the other. At the end of the day, we were kids living a shitty life with no guarantee of normalcy, no family to take care of us, and no one to offer comforting hugs at night which feels painfully lonely.

We were on our own. If we want to have a meal, work for it. Want to have a future outside in the competitive world, toughen up on your own.

No one was going to guide the orphans. Not every kid was lucky to meet kind people who don't take advantage of our vulnerability.

In school, the kids used to bully me almost every day. I used to wonder why they made someone else unhappy when they have all sorts of luxuries and lovable families in their homes. Every reason in life is to be happy. I remember one day when I had enough of their stupidity, I dragged one lanky boy, the group's so-called leader, and decided to teach him a lesson. Arjun was speechless as I didn't ever give in to his ideas of using violence as a defense. I wouldn't have if the stupid kid didn't bully Kavya to the point she ended up crying and she was silent for days together.

She was too thin for her age, and already insecure about her body. We used to try our best to keep encouraging her that it was only a phase, a common feature it wasn't any flaw. But this group for not getting any reaction from us boys had targeted her. So it was either Jyothika who broke some of their teeth or I handle the matter.

I still can't get off the image of the boy who broke down with only a couple of shoves and a few threatening words. He revealed that he was jealous of our group, and the way the five of us stood for each other in any given situation. Because he didn't ever have such an intact relationship and selfless care was neither from his parents nor from any of his friends.

And here we thought, traveling in expensive cars or on foreign trips for every academic vacation, he had the best life. The truth was not on the surface- it was deeper, out of sight.

It was amusing to see how the same boy was my trusted and loyal secretarial head today. Priyansh wanted to be out of his family's shadows and get on his feet. I was more than delighted to help.

Everyone has their share of pain or difficulties. Some people have more, and some people have less. There wasn't any escape. This realization brought me the sense to have little compassion in situations before I react.

But it doesn't mean I spare everyone. If they fuck with me then there were consequences. I try not to take it to the extreme level.

The buzzing of my phone jerks me out of my thoughts. I ignore it for a few more minutes, not in the mood to deal with whatever it may be. Anyways who needs to gain my attention? There was no one-