CHAPTER-14

"My feelings are too loud for words and too shy for the world."

JYOTHIKA

I inhale a deep breath as Prithvi squeezes my hand in reassurance.

No matter how much ever he teases me or is angry with me, I'd always have him before anyone. Feeling the rug under my feet, I take the cue we have reached the sitting area. The view was blurred from the barrier of my veil so I was following my instincts.

Bending down to take the blessing, I forwarded my hands when I sensed Prithvi following suit. "Center table ke pair nahi padne," he mumbles near my ears skillfully guiding my hands in the right direction.

{we're not taking blessings from the center table}

I bit my tongue and thanked him for saving me from another embarrassment. I hope he was going to be alert like this. There was no doubt, I'd be landing in a sea of embarrassing moments.

"Ashirwaad lena se ab kya hoga jab saare karname toh kar hi liye tumne. Bani hi gayi ho bahu toh ab yeh dikhwa kyun?" despite her taunts, Dadi Ji lightly pats my head.

{Why do you need my blessing after everything? You're now daughter-in-law, there's no need to show off}

Laga hi tha mogambo itni asani se khush nahi hogi. {I knew it making her happy was not going to be easy.}

"C'mon Didi, please be a little easy with the new bride," another sweet voice followed as we took her blessing. At least someone was on my side. "We don't want her to take off and bring her wrestling family to our door," she chuckles at her own words. I assumed too soon.

Oh, goddess hats off to the bahus who could remain in the long veils throughout the day. I feel like almost fainting. Finally taking mercy, Bua Dadi asks, "Dekhe toh hum bhi Chaand ka tukda hai ya bas kaanch ka tukda hai? Prithvi,"

{Let's see if she is as beautiful as the moon or a piece of glass}

I sigh in relief as he lifts my veil, I aim a bright smile at him. Then blush as his eyes have an adoration as if he was looking at me for the first time. The clearing of someone's throat makes him step away and I look at the elders with a respectful gaze.

Renuka Sooyrvanshi, wearing an ivory-colored saree with pearl jewels radiates her usual wise aura. Her observant gaze takes a flip as shifted to Prithvi. Her pursed lips tug upwards into a hearty smile when she eagerly hugs him. Prithvi has to nearly fold in half to match her height but I could see the way his shoulders are relaxed like he's content and he'd do it hundreds of times without a single complaint.

I feel slight pity for Tripathi aunt to find her swaying in a half-sleep state and Srinivas uncle has to balance her by wounding an arm around her shoulder. Must be difficult to wake up early.

Dadi Ji cups his cheeks and pecks his forehead while Bua Dadi does those hand gestures to keep evil eyes away from him. I sigh inwardly, even if I get one-third of their affection then I'd consider myself on top of the world.

My Raj deserves all the love in the universe. Islye Jyothi, mehnat karni padegi. {Jyothi, you have to work hard}

I cautiously near them, Prithvi was about to step on my lehenga. I grasp the back of his forearm, to save our fall, "Careful, Raj!"

Bua Dadi gasps with a weird shock, I think. "What did you just call him? What is he to you?"

At her abrupt questioning, I eye the woman in a sea-green saree and huge bun with ethnic jewels.

What does that suppose to mean? I look at Prithvi for help though he seems equally clueless.

"My husband?" she continues to give me a disappointed look, "Mera..sab kuch," I blurt the common statement I attach with his name.