CHAPTER-6

"This is why my betrayal was so terrible. Because you believed me incapable of hurting you, and yet I did."

JYOTHIKA

"Sagai ki angothi, choti pad gayi?"

'Is the Engagement ring of the wrong size?'

The familiar gruff voice racks shiver through my body.

My head whips towards the source clogging my breath at once. I forget to even blink with many emotions clouding my senses at once.

At a casual pace, Prithvi locks the door, leisurely walking toward me.

His face turns stoic, nodding to my hands, "Right size, Pata nahi hai uss ladke Ku," {That man doesn't know the right size of your finger?}

My tongue feels like a stone to even utter a single word. At a slower pace he observes my bridal attire, tilting his head up he punctuates his next words.

"Tumhari himmat kaise hui kissi aur ki dulhan banane ki?" his voice seems to develop another rough edge.

{How dare you become someone else's bride?}

He was screaming my name until the late hours of the night. Nature was anything but gentle on him. Yet, I couldn't do anything. I left him on his own to survive through harsh weather and the resentment of my family. He was facing it all alone. The familiar sting in my eyes made me bit my lip.

His question might sound arrogant but I knew he was hurt inside even if he didn't allow his copper-brown eyes to express anything. The word hurt was putting it lightly. My immobile state makes him sigh, his eyes soften briefly seeing my tears-filled eyes. Gently he reaches for my hand observing for any sort of protest from me. Why would I? He had every right to me.

He walks us to the table beside me, I keenly study his eyes without objecting to anything.

It still feels like a delusion to see him in front of me. Safe and unwounded. I'd do everything to protect him. The determination reinforced and pulled me out of my numb state.

And for that, I should make him leave before anyone detects his presence. How did he even get in? It was a needless question as his persistent personality would always find ways around the situations. More than anything, his safety was still at higher risk.

"Raj, you should-

I yelp when he tugs the ring off my finger, immediately soothing the ache by dropping my hand in an already-filled glass of water.

"Sorry," he lamely offers.

Shaking my retort off, I open my mouth to repeat my words though he seems to have other plans. Dragging me towards the dressing mirror, he grasps my shoulder to cease my movements with my back pressed to his chest.

"Kiske liye tayar hui ho?" he aligns his head on my shoulder, eyes drooping down again at my look in Saree.

How easy it was to differentiate between his glance and that horrible excuse of a man's.

Prithvi's gaze would make me feel warm, it elevated into sensual notes if he wanted to convey the message without touching me- 'it's only my right to see you in this intimate way.' My eyes on their own accord would lower in shyness. Something, no other man could make me.

"Favorite color to mera pehna hai, par naam kisi dusare ka hai? There's another thing to be changed here," He rubs the red lipstick off my lips, bringing his index finger up.

{You're wearing my favorite color but for a different name?}

My eyes shut at the sensation of his callous yet gentle touch.