CHAPTER-22

"True love is usually the most inconvenient kind."

JYOTHIKA

I knew my life was turning out to be too good. It was high time for the chaos to knock on the door.

There was so much going around me that required my attention- Dadi ji looked stressed to the point that her strong upfront was completely lost. Tripathi aunty sobbed, incoherently mumbling to herself. Gayathri returned unannounced and married the last man anyone could dream of. Bala Krishnan was here, in front of me holding the unfair power to destroy my future. He and my step-sister-in-law together.

But the thing that feared me the most was- Prithvi's reaction. His patient, calm approach to handling any situation was nowhere in sight. Something dark surrounded him- it took me several moments to realize how easily he went to kill Bala. I'm sure no one in our B-5 group would have expected this dangerous side from him, yet I witnessed it.

And I thought I know him perfectly. This changes my perspective in many ways. I have so much to learn about my man.

"What the hell is going on?"

Srinivas uncle walks in from the front door, I momentarily glare at the house help who opened the door for him. He rushed back to the other side rolling Uncle's suitcase. Lucky to leave the chaotic situation.

Not getting any response from anyone, he merely glanced at the strange man still coughing on the floor with his daughter next to him. "Someone fucking explain!"

Tripathi aunty nearly jumped from her spot on the sofa and started narrating everything. Honestly, it wasn't much, his daughter has barged in married to some random person. Though Uncle's expression reminded me of my Appa's. I haven't interacted with him as he was always busy. Even after being officially retired.

He sighs yet the vein on his forehead was visible from the way he was discreetly shaking in anger. I was worried about the consequences and stepped near her if he tried to react in any wrong way.

"Once a disgrace in the family always remains a disgrace for life," he begins in a low tone glaring at Gayu. she stops her movements altogether keeping her gaze on the floor. "I suspected it might be a mistake to permit you to take decisions on your own. Every member of this family convinced me to give you one chance, to trust you once, and not so surprisingly you proved me right. You don't deserve anything good from me. Always a fucking nuisance!"

His shouts startle me so badly, I reached to step closer to Prithvi. Only to find him standing in between Uncle and Gayu like a protective wall. Everyone else stood up nearing them with skepticism as if two hanging wires might short-circuit any second.

"Not a word against her," Prithvi points a warning finger. "She is capable of taking decisions and handling consequences better than anyone else in this room. And Mr. Sooryavanshi, you shouldn't even be the last person to cross-question her choices. If Gayu's decisions make her a disgrace to this family then what should we name your decisions?"

Uncle reels back in disbelief, "After all this, you're seriously taking her side?"

Prithvi was back to his pensive composure, rolling back his shoulders to straighten his stance. "You might be forgetting something, Mr. sooryavanshi if someone is going to insult her or harm her in any way they would first have to deal with me. And I'm not easy to be crossed over,"

Two things popped up in my mind, Is it wrong to get turned on by my husband's regal side? 'Stop it, Jyothi your in-laws are right here!' Secondly, everyone curses in this family in an agitated situation except for Dadi. I do it mentally.