Chapter Fifty Two

When he was finished, Catherine fell to the ground unconscious. It appeared that Ominis wasn't careful in her head and recklessly took the memories he needed.

Séraphine and Sebastian looked at him with trepidation.

"Anne was helping Natty and Poppy with a poaching scheme in the middle of the Goblin Rebellion. Harlow was onto them. Sharp killed him to protect the witches. Rookwood... Rookwood tried to kill Sharp." A dribble of blood leaked out of Ominis' nose, "Tried to use Runespoor venom as a way to kill him. Sharp knew that if he didn't die, the Dark wizard would go after the three witches."

Sebastian stilled. "Ominis, what are you implying?"

He wiped his nose with his sleeve before cocking his head in their direction. "Professor Sharp willingly killed himself so that Rookwood wouldn't go after Anne."

"Which means..." Séraphine closed her eyes briefly before looking at Sebastian, "There's a chance your sister didn't die. The Professor's note said she was getting better. Mon amour, Anne may have faked her own death to escape any chances of Rookwood finding her."

The last sentence from Anne's letter echoed in her head.

I trust the three of you to figure this out.

To Kill or Not to Kill

Séraphine stared down at the unconscious witch. All this time. All this time she could have told Sebastian that his sister didn't die. Professor Sharp was an unfortunate loss and she truly wished there had been another way for him to continue on living. However, allowing Sebastian to think that Anne had died painfully or before her time was cruel.

It wasn't lost on him either.

"She was useful today." Sebastian's voice was a blend of weariness and mild vexation. "Did you see anything else, Ominis?"

He shook his head, dismayed. "I tried looking, but she had a strong mental block where the Dark Lord was concerned."

"I'm still curious how Umbridge is involved in their letters." Séraphine murmured quietly, before kneeling down beside Catherine. "I'm going to leave you with a promise since it's unladylike to kill someone while they're unable to defend themselves. The next time we meet, I will kill you." She pointed her wand towards the witches' knees and casted the knee-reversal jinx. "Good thing, I'm only a little ladylike these days."

Sebastian snorted inwardly, amused despite himself. They turned around to see Harry looking extremely baffled at the situation if not a little frazzled.

"You practice the Dark Arts." It wasn't a question and it was aimed at Séraphine.

Her smile was curt, "I am a Rosier."

"The Rosier family were full of Death Eaters." Harry pointed out, suspiciously. "Who was that?"

"I am not a Death Eater. I told you before that we're neutral territory." She gestured for him to leave as they would follow, "It's time we left. I don't think we'll be welcomed back anytime soon."

Her flames hadn't destroyed anything, but business had been impacted, and the tavern's owner was glaring at them from the bar. Séraphine sniffed. It wasn't all their fault.