Chapter Thirty Seven

"Visiting hours are over. I even gave you an extra fifteen minutes." She gestured to the door, visibly becoming impatient.

Instead of Séraphine leaving, Sebastian grabbed her hand. "Family is permitted to stay, no? She doesn't have to leave."

"Because you both look so alike." The healer reflected in a dry tone, "Do I need to pull out my wand? I don't have time for this. You're wearing Ravenclaw robes, I thought you witches were smart."

Sebastian held her hand up, "She's not blood related to me."

A glimmer against the low lighting of the hospital room. It was small, really. A plain, golden band had been slipped onto her ring finger unbeknownst to her until now. It was the most simple ring she'd ever seen and in a moment it became the most valuable thing she had ever possessed.

There was a creeping redness on Sebastian's cheeks, but his voice never wavered as he stared at the healer. Pride and adoration warmed his tone.

"She's my fiancée."

Cocky Bâtard - Mature Read

The healer glanced from Séraphine's awestruck expression to Sebastian's lazy smile. "I see." She replied slowly, taking a step back. "Then I'll leave the happily engaged couple alone for a while until rounds begin again. There's spare pillows and blankets in the cupboard to your right."

Séraphine didn't even glance at where she was pointing to. Instead, her eyes were focused on the golden band. Enough time must have passed that Sebastian's bravado was starting to form cracks, revealing how nervous he was underneath it all.

"I doubt it's real gold. It barely cost one of those banknotes, the peddler probably ripped me off. It's really simple too," He began to ramble, grabbing her hand, "If you don't like it, when I start working I'll be able to afford a much nicer one."

"'Bastien." Her voice was sharp, admonishing him for thinking so little of the engagement ring he'd bought for her, "Je l'aime. I love it. But when did you have the time to get it?"

He grimaced, "It was while you went to the lady's restroom. The peddler was about to get kicked out of the tea shop for trying to sell old jewelry when I saw the ring. I know I could have waited, but if this whole ordeal has taught me one thing; it's we're never guaranteed tomorrow. I want to be the man you wake up to in the morning. I want us to be the sort of parents slow waltzing in the foyer after dinner. I want our children to comment on how much dad loves mum and then I'll depulso them out of the kitchen because I want to kiss you. The kind of kiss that makes your knees weak and your body aflame. I want to make you happy and feel cherished for the rest of our lives... If you'll have me of course."

"No." She kept a straight face only to let out a soft laugh when his expression dropped. It was like a kicked puppy.

He reached for her immediately, "You're wicked."

"No, I'm yours." Séraphine laughed as Sebastian peppered kisses against her neck, overjoyed at her response. She laid against his side happily, recounting his words. "You speak often of our enfants. Plural. How are you so sure I want children?"

Sebastian looked sheepish, making her very curious at where his thoughts were running off to. "Do you remember in the Scriptorium, I thought something was bothering you?"